Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i go know?

Hey guys,
    im 13, so im on a tight budget, and i have 320 dollars. I want to get a new video card, so im thinking about which one to buy. I was going to wait for the FX 5900 Ultra, but i heard that the price was jacked up. So im wondering, do you guys think i should wait for the 5900 to come up(and mow a lot of lawns :D :D ), or just buy a 9800 on eBay right know for $330.00???I can probably just OC the 9800 to FX speeds, but that "nVidia, the way its ment to be played" campaign is really working on me. They say that only nVidia cards will have access to special features. Im think some ATi fan will just hack the game though, so we can use the special effects. So what do you guys think????:?: :?: :?: :?:
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Originally posted by homeworld1031tx
    im 13, so im on a tight budget
    you have no idea what a tight budget is...:rolleyes:

you'd probably going to be happier with a 9800 pro

considering Nvidia's recent streak of bad cards there is no telling how good or bad the 5900 will be...it could be like the release of the FX, all hype

Comment

As the FX 5900 isn't available yet, and won't be until the end of this month, I'd wait until then before making a decision.
      The Detonator FX 50 drivers should be released around the same time, and will hopefully offer further (true) performance
      improvements to the card.

Comment

Well, my main interest is gonna be homeworld 2, not any fps (those come second) I know that it would be better to upgrade the CPU for HW2, but im waiting for Clawhammer. So, based on that, what do you guys think.
        <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Comment

Well the 9800 pro certainly isn't a bad card so that's the way to go if ya want a high end card right now.

Nvidias 5900 pro is probably somewhat faster but as mentioned it isn't out on the market just yet. Tests has shown it's pros over the 9800pro and it has won quite a few tests.

The Doom3 game has been discussed mutch lately and it's going to get this "way it ment to be played" lable. Due to optimized code written specially for the FX gpu it's probably whats going to run the game best with highest fps. This is not only used for Doom 3 but also with alot of other titles, however both of those cards are great so it's up to you. Use google and read some info on the subject. Personally I'm gonna wait for the FX card with 256mb of Vram for max performance and games vs driver compability..

Either way you choose your computer will FLY with the new hammer.. ;)

Comment

Read tests here.

: peace:

Comment

Originally posted by homeworld1031tx
              Hey guys,
              im 13, so im on a tight budget, and i have 320 dollars. I want to get a new video card, so im thinking about which one to buy.
              OK! A couple things! I was looking at your system specs and you will not see much improvement at this point until you update the rest of your system. I would suggest upgrading the motherboard, CPU, and RAM before upgrading your video card. The GF4Ti you have is plenty of power for now and with a new system will work great for you. If you try upgrading to one of these high end graphics cards with your current system you will be wasting your money IMO. Your system won't even be able to utilize the power of the card.

Second, when you do get around to upgrading your graphics card, keep in mind the idea of value and don't just buy the most expensive thing out there. You will pay twice as much for something that will be offered at a reasonable price in 6 to 8 months. Despite all the marketing hype by Nvidia, the ATi 9800Pro is the current performance king and offers the best image quality with the highest frame rates. A few months after the release of the FX5900 ATi will surely release something else to compete with it. This is the nature of competition. Hopfully, for our sake, these two companies will compete tirelessly trying to top each other until the end of time. The 9700Pro is also a good alternative that offers the same image quality as the 9800Pro with slighly less speed and at less cost.

If you are looking for a new system and are interested in AMD still take a look at my signature for what I am using. I can't recommend this setup enough for AMD enthusiasts. I'd be happy to offer any info if you need it.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, and i c ur point woody, but I really just want to upgrade to Clawhammer. (I was about to buy the same exact setup u got, but it would be a 8RDA+ instead of the noce mobo u got :D :D ) I will probably just do what Weta said about waiting until the end of the month until the FX 5900 Ultra comes out. Thats what i was gonna do before, but im really impatient. And i can't afford the Ultra w/ 256 :( :( :( .

Comment

With $320 I doupt you will be able to buy any FX5900 board. $320 would, however, buy you a 2500+ with an NForce2 mobo and 512MB of PC3200 RAM if you shopped around. I guarantee that would do a hell of a lot more for your performance than just a new FX5900. The 5900 may not even work on your current system. It's like trying to put an 8 cyliner engine into a 1969 VW bug.

Comment

It would run just fine, it would run fine in a P2 system to as long as ya got an agp slot.. ;)

But your right, you need a cpu speed of 2.5 ghz or higher to get it's fully performance.. A cpu/mobo/mem upgrade is mutch better for your system atm..

Comment

But, like i said, I want to wait for Clawhammer.
                      (CPU, mobo, RAM wise)
                      If I upgrade my system now , then i will have to pay for it. But if I upgrade to Clawhammer later, my dad said he will pay for it. (And if i upgrade now, he will be like, you don't need new stuff for your computer when i ask him to upgrade to clawhammer for me)

But

If I upgrade my video card right now, I will pay for it, but my dad will still pay for the Clawhammer upgrade.

Woody_87th: Your are very much right on how i will not beable to afford any FX5900 card, but im hoping i can just get the 128 value version and clock it too standard version speed.

Comment

The Geforce FX 5900 value will retail for $299, but it won't be available until the end of July.
                        Try and save up a bit more and buy the Geforce FX 5900 standard which will retail for $399.

Comment

WOODY is 100% correct.

Homeworld, Listen to us.

THIS SYSTEM :

900 MHz AMD Athlon\TBird
                          Soyo SY-K7VTA-B w/KT133
                          512 MB PC133 2DIMMs
                          Geforce FX (whatever)

will get BLOWN AWAY by THIS SYSTEM:

AMD Barton 2500+
                          Epox 8RDA+
                          512 PC2700 DDR Crucial

Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400

The Second system will RUN CIRCLES around the first system in ALL aspects. (Homeworld 2 Included) And with both upgrades costing the same amount, the Choice is clear! Your video card does NOT determine game capability, if you processor is THAT old. You will see NO (5% or less) game improvement if you choose option 1. You will see 200-300% improvement with option 2.

but I really just want to upgrade to Clawhammer.
                          I'm betting that is STILL at least a year away, and prices won't come down on those systems for nearly two years from now. (after mobo and chipset companies have worked out bugs and whatnot)

Comment

Okay, I think i will do what you guys are telling me to. I will see if this will work:
                            Upgrade the system now
                            Then, around August, September, hope that my dad upgrades my video card
                            Then, for Christmas ask my parents to upgrade to Clawhammer for me (and sell the other Athlon XP ans stuff on eBay)
                            I will probably do it within the next week.
                            I just hope my dad lets me:o :o :o
                            Thanks for the help guys :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul

The Second system will RUN CIRCLES around the first system in ALL aspects. (Homeworld 2
                              :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :p :p :p :p

Comment

Working...
                              X