Problem with new speakers & Audigy 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with new speakers & Audigy 2

I just recently recieved the Logitech Z-680 speakers in the mail (5.1 speakers), and I'm having a bit of a problem. My system is Windows XP Profesional edition, my motherboard is a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus motherboard, and my sound card is an Audigy 2. The problem that I am having is this:

The speakers are all hooked up correctly (I am 100 % positive of this). But when I go to the creative speaker settings program and test it, I only get sound out of the front left & right speakers, nothing else. When I play movies with PowerDVD XP 4.0, there is no option for 5.1 sound - only 2- 4- 6-channel and Use SPDIF. When I use 6-channel sound, I don't get anything out of the center speaker. When I use 4-channel, the center speaker acts like one of the surrounds and is pretty much uesless.

I hooked up the speakers through the analog connection since I didn't have a digital connection hook-up. I have all the latest drivers for EVERYTHING, and I selected 5.1 speakers in the speaker settings program. So, what is the problem?

Might be a silly question but have you enabled the 5.1 option in windows as well as Creatives' program? Might not hurt to double check:

Start--->Control Panel --->Sounds and Audio Devices--->VolumeTab (SpeakerSettings section)--->Advanced button.

By the way you may not get full surround sound from Power DVD without buying their "audio pack". (It's an "added feature" to the "full" version that came with my DVD ROM.)
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I have the audio pack for PowerDVD, and I have enabled 5.1 surround sound in both WIndows & the creative program.

Comment

Have you did the speaker calibration in the Creative speaker settings control panel? If there was anything hooked up wrong, it would tell you there.

Comment

Yes, I have run the speaker calibration program. It claims that everything is fine except for the fact that nothing ever came out of the center or rear speakers. And they ARE connected properly! Ya know - for having the best sound card available (or one of the best) and for paying $268 for a set of speakers and wiring them properly, you'd expect everything to work right! But no, of course it doesn't - it's the story of my life.

Comment

It might be a dodgy set of speakers. It happens. :shrug:

Comment

The speakers work perfectly fine, when I hit the test button on the remote they work fine. I don't think it's the speakers because I have a friend who has my same problem on an Audigy 1 (not 2) but with the Klipsch 5.1 speakers, not the Logitech. So it's not the speakers.

Comment

Ok, I solved my problem. Don't ask how I did it because it's a VERY stupid user error (and quite embarrasing).

Comment

Re: Problem with new speakers & Audigy 2

Originally posted by Master Toddy
                  Ok, I solved my problem. Don't ask how I did it because it's a VERY stupid user error (and quite embarrasing).

Please, PLEASE PLEASE post what you did wrong!! I am having the EXACT same problem as you and I'm stumped!

I have a Soundblaster Audigy 2 Gamer soundcard, and Logitech Z-680 speakers! Please, tell me what you did. My email is [email protected] if the error really is so bad you dont want to share. Thanks. I hope you see this message.

Gunney

Comment

Working...
                  X