Pick the bones outta this heap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick the bones outta this heap

G'day all, am about to upgrade and don't really want to spend over $1,000 Aus.
    Just started researching and have come up with the following.
    Athlon XP 2600 CPU.
    Asus A7N8X M/B.
    512 MB DDR Kingston 2700.

Now for the hardest part, the vid card, was thinking of a
    MSI 128Mb FX5200-TD Ultra (8907TD) [$299].
    This is where I'll be spending the splash as its just around the corner, and prices appear to be to reasonable here
    :shrug:

1) get some dual channel ram
    2) here has really good prices :)
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Sounds like a great system you're building there :thumb: . Do yourself a favor tho, do NOT get an FX Series card, unless you wanna spend a lot of cash ($420+) and get the FX5900. RIght now, the best reasonably priced high end cards are the Radeon 9700 and 9800 (Pros are better than non pros; if you're gonna get one, get a pro) followed by the nVidia Ti4200 and 4600. The Ti's are alot cheaper and are really good bang for your buck cards, but they only support DX 8.1, as those RAdeon's (even the radeon 9500 Pro is a good choice too) all support DX 9. I like my Ti4200, it o/c's well (250/512 stock to 284/581, in the winter, 279/567 in the summer). You'll really have to look at the specs of each card and decide which one meets your price range and requirements. Hope that helps, and good luck :thumb: . : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Thanks for the Link Andy, not far down the road as well.
        Thanks to you also Mista. Unfortunately a 9700 pro will put me way beyond budget. However I do have direct X 9.0a installed otherwise I'd go for one of the TI's.
        I'll most probabally format when I get these components so can always start with DX 8.1 again.
        One other thing, I need a game port on my M/B. None of the newer M/B's have them but I believe most have the ability to add a card for one. Anyone have any knowledge here? :wow:

Comment

most new mobos just have an add on expanson slot type thing for the game port, i'll get you a photo to show ya what i mean :)
          TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

ok, after a few mins of snapping and editing, we have this:

This is the gameport/USB slot cover that came with my A7V333, my newer 8RDA+ came with a similar one, but without the USB
            TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Thanks Andy, can't really afford to buy a new wheel as well, and I couldn't live without GPL.
              Whats the 8RDA+ like?, what CPU ya running?
              :shoot3:

Comment

its great!

i've got a 2600+ (333MHz FSB Tbred B) running on it atm.... pitty its not very overclockable, that, or my ram is letting me down :(
                TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Thanks mate, I might go have a look at one, its certainly cheaper then the way I was going, and the extra would allow me to get a better vid card.
                  I just checked a few local suppliers and prices have gone down again in the last few hours :cheers:

Comment

I'm not sure what the Radeon 9500/9600 Pro's run over in Aus, but here in the US they're about hafl the cost of the 9700/9800 Pro's, not to mention a helluva lot better than the 5200. Hell, a GF4 Ti4200 is better.

Comment

Ok...i think i got this right. The 9500 is based on the 9600 engine and the 9600 is based on the 9800 engine, right?

See i got the Sapphire 9500 PRO

Comment

Ok men after much reading etc this is my current preferences [keeping in mind my budget.]:thumbs do

MOB-8RDA+ Crush18D,Soc-A,3DDR400,FSB333, AGP8,6CH,ATA133,6USB2,LAN,1394

ATHLON AMD K7-XP2600+ CPU WITH FAN

512M DDR PC2700 333Mhz Kingston (CL 2.5)

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9500PRO 128MB DDR TVODVI

That comes to $859.00. That is using suppliers within 5 kilometres from home. Time is more important to me. I know I could save a few bucks here and there but I could get all this in 20 minutes.

I have just enuff left over for a 350W P/S [will this be enuff??] and a few fans, to come in at around the grand.
                        Any thoughts [keep in mind I'm just an average user and not competant enuff to over clock]
                        :cheers:

Comment

well like i said before, you might want to get 2 sticks of ram so you can take advantage of dual channel ram that the Nforce2 can use.

350W is fine, i'm running an 8rda+, axp 2600+, 512mb corsair xms2700, 1x 40gb seagate and 2x 80gb wd hard drives, a gf4 and a liteon burner all from a 300W enermax PSU and i'm not having any problems at all
                          TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

I should be able to "sneak" anotha stick of 512 in there

reason I asked about the P/S apparantly the SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9500PRO draws a fair bit, too much for the slot so a pin is provided to plug into the Mobo as well:wow:

Comment

Working...
                            X