Spray Painting a monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray Painting a monitor

I want to spray paint my monitor, but Im wondering if the paint going into the vents will hurt anything, I didnt think it would, since it would be on the outside of the color tube, but im not sure.

BTW i do know to cover up the glass:laugh:

Ya must remove the casing from the monitor to paint it but do not touch any internal components even after a week or so of bein' powered down as a high voltage charge can be stored in them for quite sometime.

Comment

thanks for the tip wiggo. I think ill try it on an old 14in monitor before I crack open my good 17"

Comment

A wise decission m8. :thumb:

Comment

Now that I think aboutn it. I think im not even gonna screw with it. Forgot about the charge these suckers can hold.

Comment

It's really not that hard to do but just requirin' care when removin' the covers plus most modern monitors have a great deal of metal shieldin' coverin' the dangerous parts.

Comment

Hmm, I might have to do it then. Does the fron part also come off? I took an old (late 80's 14in)one apart, and the front panel didnt come off

Comment

Base, front and rear will all come away and most monitors take very little effort but ya must be made aware of the dangers (just for saftey sake). If ya know the dangers then ya'll be more careful (hopefully). ;)

Comment

Ya must remove the casing from the monitor to paint it but do not touch any internal components even after a week or so of bein' powered down as a high voltage charge can be stored in them for quite sometime.
                  Probably pointless using a anti static wrist strap then :) :laugh:

Comment

good tip, if u havent painted it yet, from personal expiriance, if u hold ur case frame(anything metal) and have rubber sould shoes on, btw pc should be off and pluged in, then u can safely touch anything inside the monitor to ground the monitor so u dotn acedently touch it later, i did that, thoes caps inside the monitor store alot of juice!!!!:steam: :steam:

Comment

ZEUSQQ adalah bandar judi bola terbesar layanan daftar situs agen sbobet terpercaya indonesia buat akun mix parlay link login klaim bonus new member 20% di depan

Comment

hehe after reading this post it gave me the idea to paint my moniter... I experimented on my older 15 inch one and it worked pretty good. I removed the front part that you see the screen from, and the rest of the case. it was pretty easy to take off but there were alot of screws. And be sure you're really careful when painting it, because if you put too much on and it drips it looks like crap. Mine dripped in some places and i tried wiping it off with a tissue and repainting it... didn't look too great :(

anyhoo I think it might take a couple days to dry because it's on plastic.

good luck!

Comment

Just a little info for people who want to paint there monitor - (I also learned after a few misguided attempts)

For painting on plastic -
                          • First sand lightly to give the paint a better sticking surface

Paint in 4-5 light coats, with a final coat of acrylic clear/flat for the desired look

NEVER wipe or try to fix drips until the pain is dry, to fix sand lighly until the drip disappears. If you have to sand to the base, do so, you are going to repaint it anyway

Hope that helps. I learned the hardway and had to resand and repaint when I tried this a few years ago.

Happy modding,
                          Chez :cheers:

Comment

Yeah I just learned the hard way... lucky it was on my crappy moniter. I didn't sand it beforehand, and did one coat which looks like crap lol. I think I'll go back and do another coat or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Chezman29
                              Just a little info for people who want to paint there monitor - (I also learned after a few misguided attempts)

For painting on plastic -
                              • First sand lightly to give the paint a better sticking surface

Paint in 4-5 light coats, with a final coat of acrylic clear/flat for the desired look

NEVER wipe or try to fix drips until the pain is dry, to fix sand lighly until the drip disappears. If you have to sand to the base, do so, you are going to repaint it anyway

Hope that helps. I learned the hardway and had to resand and repaint when I tried this a few years ago.

Happy modding,
                              Chez :cheers:
                              For the final coat of acrylic stuff... what would I use to make the moniter finished, but not shiny? I don't want to scratch off all the spray paint so I need to use a finish on it but I would to have it dull instead of glossy-ish. What would you reccommend?

Comment

Working...
                              X