Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permissions in 9.95 FTP Software

Good morning dudes

Finally bought my own webspace and domain name. I'm using 9.95 ftp software, because It's the first I came across being a newbie to ftp software. Was wondering what the permission column is, its got lots of different codes in there? :confused:

I just wrote a huge post, then realised that 9.95 is actually an FTP client, not server. :)

My suggestion is to try another FTP client which is easier to use, something along the lines of CuteFTP, Bulletproof FTP or even Internet Explorer (not the greatest, but it does the job). Unless, of course, 9.95 still works for you but you're just curious as to what the permissions thing is. In which case I'll let someone who has used the program answer.

Comment

i prefer ws_ftp personally, it's simple, strait forward...and free if you're a student

Comment

I'll second that suggest. I've used WS_FTP95 for a while now and found it much easier to manipulate than some of the others I've come across. Here's a link to the home site if you want to take a look. Ipswitch

Comment

If you are ready to pay a little money then you should get yourself Flash fxp as it's the IMHO absolutly best I've ever tryed and i've tryed alot.. :)

:cheers:

Comment

Thanks for the replies (does the community mailer ever work :p ). I used to use WS_FTP95 when I was a student, still have the original on one of my student cd roms.

The__tweaker: Where can I find 'Flash fxp', I don't mind paying a little for some good software?

Cheers dudes and dudess: peace:

Comment

I personally use SmartFTP. Looks a lot better than WS_FTP and has a few more features.

I'm guessing the 'permissions' thing you are talking about are the chmod file/folder permissions.

Depending on what 9.95 does (I don't know it), it could display the permissions as nine checkboxes next to a file, a number (eg 777) or something like r--r--rwx.

These are similar to Unix permissions in that these codes determine what different users are allowed to do to a file/folder. Again, depending on which FTP client you use, the permissions may be in a different order, but usually it goes;

Public - - - Group - - - Owner

Each of these has three bits, which have unique values. The three bits are Read (r), Write (w) and Execute (x). If the bit is set to '1', it checks to see which group the current user is in (Public, Group or Owner), and gives them the permission to do that.

Eg, the default setting for files is;

r--r--rw- (or 644).

This means that the Public and member of the Group of the owner can only read the file, while the owner can read and write it. The 644 in the above example is gained from the fact that an 'r' in the User group is worth 4, a 'r' in the Group group is worth 40, a 'r' in the Owner group is worth 400 and a 'w' in the Owner group is worth 200. Add these up and you get 644. You'll notice that if you add up the values of every possible combination of permissions in the form r--r--rw-, you get unique numbers for each combination.

Bloody hell, that was a long explanation that I'm sure wasn't required. But oh well :).

Comment

Originally posted by DJ_Toastie
                The__tweaker: Where can I find 'Flash fxp',
                FlashFXP - Windows FTP Client. Supports FTP, FXP, FTPS, and SFTP file transfers. Free trial download.

And check ya pm :)

Comment

Thanks very much Osiris, thats explained them in a kind of lengthy post that i need to understand it all .

And thanks very much Mr Tweaker :thumb: . Using the flash fxp now, also seems to be much quicker than the 9.95 ftp software. :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                  X