Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alcatel SpeedTouch Home into a Pro, need help fast!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcatel SpeedTouch Home into a Pro, need help fast!!!

hey guys,

skullshot sent me a link with a guide on how to update my SpeedTouch Home ADSL Modem into a Pro, which is a 'router' (not sure if its a proper one) that has NAT etc.

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-bi.../msg00102.html

http://users.bigpond.net.au/muga/setup.htm

i tried the first one, using the "MXS". however the PPP link never got to the UP status, so i started again with the other quide, using the "PDA" one. This worked, the PPP link went immediately to "UP".

however i cant access anything on the net, whether it be MSN or ICQ or webpages, it just says: "page cannot be displayed" or "cannot find server".

The modem is external, and connects to my computer through my NIC card. I set my NIC's TCP/IP settings to:

IP address: 10.0.0.25
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.0.0.138

that still didnt work, so i tried putting in telstra's DNS server addresses: 61.9.128.14, 61.9.128.15...that didnt work.

i changed the DNS addresses on the routers config to those, didnt work.

I dunno why it does not work. I run windows XP pro by the way.

even restoring all the modems settings to factory default, i cant even connect to ADSL, which is how it was before! no go

:(

Does anyone have any ideas? i use telstra adsl broadband (512/128, 3gb limit)...i know telstra sucks but its a long story.

thanks in advance, i really need this broadband link back ASAP, this 56k is killing me! (and my pocket)

i just managed to get back to ADSL...but its not using it as a 'router' as i wanted, just a modem. :( :mad: :grr:

Comment

I would suggest not doing this. If successful, the benefits would be good. If not successful, you don't have a working DSL modem and can be an expensive mistake. Those things cost about $175 and the ISP usually gives them to you. Plus they're usually configured by the ISP to work with their service. Unless you have really in-depth knowledge of how DSL works, I would suggest that you don't mess with that.

Think about it, your ISP provides you a service with particular eqiptment and support that service as they sold it to you. Then you change the modem to a router. Thus changing the hardware to a router through a firmware hack(something they definetly don't support, they'd be stupid to). Plus, it's now a router. Again something they may not support. Explaining to your ISP that you accidentially screwed up the modem while trying to make it into a router will usually gain you a "good job, you get to buy a new modem, because we're not going to RMA the one you screwed up." Although, usually in nicer terms :)

Sorry if I was harsh. I only meant to get my point accross.

Later

Comment

Well the 2nd link (the telstra guide) has Uninstalling information. It does work, im on ADSL now through a 'modem' (as said in my 2nd post).

What i am trying to make this modem into is a Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro, which Telstra does support.

According to the 2nd guide this works with Telstra and a number of other different ISP's.

Jarrod got it to work so i know it can be done, plus the guy who made the guy has done it numerously.

Comment

Sorry but sKuLLsHoT is a lot more savy than you are and I'm not to sure about divin' straight into that myself.

Comment

oh well great thanks for the inspirational comments guys.

Comment

Hehehe.. Poor Thoric. If Skullshot has done it before, get him to do it again. He's probably got a better idea than most people in here (present posters excluded).

Comment

fukit looks like i gotta visit ya then

sounds to me some other machine/service or somefin on the network is confusing your pc preventing yours from routing thru the modem, judging from the tests i got you to run.

Comment

lol

i dunno what it could be. This is a standalone PC, with just a NIC and ADSL modem...i dont run ICS or anything....

Comment

well, just for anyone that might stumble accross this, the answer was a routing issue.

the modem itself was missing a routing entry which basically meant that traffic from the local network could not see anything on the external network.

the modem connected fine to the internet, but even from the modem console i was unable to ping the outside world.

i will post the screenshot of the router page later when i am at home.

As a side note, this modem had firmware version 290 and for other alcatel modem users that may have 281 or older, with 512k dsl connections that lose line sync frequently, i suggest getting your hands onto this updated firmware as it solves the problem.

Comment

thanks for that mate :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                      X