Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I hide fodlers from other users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I hide fodlers from other users?

I was wondering how to hide or restrict access to folders and files in xp. I did it last week and I forgot the command, but I know that you type it in the Start\run. It's something like gpedit.

Thanks

Go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Click your account > Create a Password > After you put in a password, click Create Password, then in the next area you can make your folders private

Comment

to hide a folder, right click on it and check hidden. you can also encrypt specific files and folders so that only someone logged into your account can access them.

making folders private mainly just applies to to your 'My Documents' folder

for group policy management, type gpedit.msc into Run or the command prompt

to configure specific accounts type control userpasswords2 into Run

Comment

Actually when you do as i said, it makes everything that has to do with your logon private, all your files, history, settings, music, pics, all that. But not anything outside of C:\Documents and Settings\your username\

Comment

But that's not the answer I was looking for. Last week I was able to hide make folders inaccessable to other users on my computer. It was a program that you enter in run. You can select a folder and check off what right you want a user to have to it.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Perhaps:

File and Folder Protection

or

Easy File & Folder Protector

or other
            :rolleyes2

Comment

if u had eg: D:/music, you can make it so other computers cant access it.

Right click on the folder and go Sharing & Security >> security tab. add the user in, then go Advanced. Their name should be in...as: John Smith [Computername]\John Smith" or whatever u set it to.

Select it and go edit permissions. here u can screw around with whatever u want, its quite flexible.

List folder contents is what you are looking for? :confused: maybe.

Hope that helps, of course NTFS is needed for this :thumb:

Comment

just as a note, you need to turn off 'simple file sharing' to do that^
                :cheers:

Comment

ah yes so you do.

folder options >> view, last option..

thanks for that minibubba :thumb:

Comment

Thanks guys it worked!

Comment

Working...
                    X