DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error plz help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error plz help

About 3 weeks ago I noticed when I would select "Turn Off Computer" it would go thru the motions, but then reboot rather than going to the shutdown screen (I have WinXP Pro).

Now, a few days ago I started getting a msg from Windows whenever I try to shut down or reboot (after it goes past the Saving Settings part). Here is the error I get:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Info:
    0X000000D1 (0X00000000, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0XE20B9C0D)
    Less than or equal to what? lol...

It's just a blue screen with that message. When I go into XP's event log it shows an error code etc and a link you can click on to get more info... but then at MS page it just says no information available on this error.

Has anyone ever seen this or have a clue what might be wrong?

thnx in advance... I'm totally stumped :tears:

Did you recently install any new device or drivers?

Try rolling back to the old drivers and see if that helps.

Here are a couple of links that may help.

MS Tech Net

MSKB

or

Stop Errors

Hope this helps!

Comment

there must have been a .sys file associated with that STOP error.
      we would have been more helpful if you could supply with the name of that .sys file.
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

First, thanks for all the replies and links. I appreciate the help :)

Well I checked my memory. I put in 1 stick at a time and it still came up with the error. So I think maybe the memory is ok?

All the info displayed is in the error I posted above, there was no reference to any files or drivers, or even the IRQ. The log says that the Category is (102) and the event ID is 1003 if that helps.

btw, the error doesn't come up every time I reboot, but maybe 3 out of 4 times.

Here are the things I've installed recently:
        - NVidia 44.03 drivers (2 maybe 3 weeks ago)
        - Via 4 in 1 44.7 (about 3-4 days ago)

How do you rollback via drivers?

Here are some tweaking things I did after reading some of the tweak guides:
        - Changed my Virtual Page file to fixed size of 256MB on partition D: (I disabled the one on C: drive but oddly enough windows never did delete the 1.5gb page file but um... I did two days later :hammer: :o )

- I installed a 7200 rpm fan that is attached to the case with brackets so that it blows on the video card. That was about 2 months ago in preperation for the hot weather.

- I enabled the overclock tab for the video card. I overclocked it to 250/510 (default is 240/500) and the test said it was ok, but when I tried to run nr2003 it crashed back to the desktop so I said forget that and reset it to defaults and reinstalled the video drivers to get rid of the overclock page.

My computer was acting funny weeks before... it would reboot rather than shut down. BUT, sometime after I changed the virtual file settings, installed the new VIA drivers and tried to overclock the video card, that's when I think I started getting the error screen when trying to shutdown/reboot the computer.

I wonder what I screwed up now : omg: :o

Comment

The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile
          that is from one of the links provided by G Smith.
          from that statement i guess it is because of the latest changes in virtual memory that u have made.
          i would recommend that before you think about rolling back the VIA drivers, you go for setting that page file to zero and then to the size desired by you. that will set one thing i.e. paging file right.
          about rolling back VIA drivers...well wait for some time and PI might handle that query.
          Last Updated:
          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
          ======================
          =======================
          yabaa dabaa doo...
          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Wow... that's a lot of changes.

Just from reading your timeline of events and problems I would "guess" the problem to be in the video drivers. But this is way beyond me.

Have you checked the event viewer to see if you have any information about system errors?

Our very own PersianImmortal has a great Via Guide here. For questions about the 4 in 1's

Good Luck!

^5 Asklepios didn't see your post there!

Comment

Asklepios: Sorry, I hadn't gotten that far yet. I was trying to read them in the order he posted and try to solve it as I read thru each one.

G Smith: Obviously this was not way beyond you since you posted the link to what my problem appears to be So thanks! :)

I set the page file to none and rebooted a few times to make sure the error never came up... it didn't. So I created another 256mb page file on drive D: and rebooted about 6-7 times and still no error... WOOT!!!! :D

I'll never call tech support again... they got nothing on you guys! :) You call MS and they say "contact your computer manufacturer for support"... you call them they say "contact your CD ROM manufacturer for support", then they say "contact your video card company for support", then they say "contact your sound card company for support", who says "contact your motherboard company" who finally says... "contact Microsoft"!!!! and the vicious circle starts all over again

Seems like problem solved!!! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed each time I reboot but looks like a done deal !

Thanks much ppl! You solve a problem in less than 1 day that support still couldn't muster in 4 :thumb:

Comment

STOP errors have always been a pain in neck for every windows user.

i was thinking about writing a guide on resolving STOP erros but G Smith have found out some brilliant links and i feel that it will be a useless one in presence of all the stuff that is already there.

great work G Smith...you have posted some excellent links on STOP errors. thanx for all of them :thumb:
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

======================
                =======================
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Yeah but seperate links tend to go dead over time whereas a compiled document tends to float around so even if one link goes dead, you can often find the same document somewhere else (that is, if u plan on making it well distributed).

Also, a compiled document (even if it references links) is easier to direct ppl to than trying to remember multiple links or searching a lot of forums (let's say less time consuming) because you often have to sort thru a lot of errors posted before you find one (if at all) that is specific to your own problem. If someone posts a STOP error on a forum, it's easy for ppl to direct them to a document that deals with all those types of errors IMO.

I guess in short I mean a document is much more handy and only 1 link for ppl like G Smith to post :thumb:

Comment

I have tried to address these sorts of problems (and much more) in one document. See this page of my 2nd XP Guide for example :)
                    My Machine

Comment

hey did i miss that page when i followed your 2nd guide or is it an update? :confused:
                      Last Updated:
                      10th MARCH

======================
                      =======================
                      yabaa dabaa doo...
                      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Nope, it's been there since day 1 :) I really tried to cover everything in the second guide, every single type of question or problem people have. That's why it's 17 looooong pages :woot:
                        My Machine

Comment

aah...i shd start reading more carefully : omg:
                          Last Updated:
                          10th MARCH

======================
                          =======================
                          yabaa dabaa doo...
                          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                            PersianI[/size]]
                            That's why it's 17 looooong pages :woot:
                            Now I can understand why a lot of ppl don't fully read it. :devil:

Comment

Originally posted by PersianImmortal
                              I have tried to address these sorts of problems (and much more) in one document. See this page of my 2nd XP Guide for example :)
                              You might want to update it to include the fact that the DRVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL can (in most certainly in my case) be caused by a corrupt page file. I've rebooted probably 30 times now with no problems since removing and then recreating the page file.

Pretty thorough doc though... It would be nice if it had a TOC with clickable links to the topics inside... then you wouldn't have to sift thru it all but that's prolly just cuz I'm lazy :o

Comment

Working...
                              X