XP 2800 or P4 2.4C ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP 2800 or P4 2.4C ?

I've bought two Shuttles and just moved over my P4 and AMD cpus from my previous systems. I have $200 now that I can spend on a new cpu. The XP 2800+ and the P4 2.4C are around the same price. I could overclock the fsb on the 2.4C to 250 and would be running at 3GHz. If I overclocked the 2800 to 200 it would be 2.4GHz. I've not been able to find any benchmarks online but seeing as the XP 2800 overclocked to 2.4GHz would be faster than the XP 3000, 2.16GHz, I think it would be faster than the P4 2.4C overclocked to 3GHz. Am I right? Should I put the money into the AMD system or Intel? If I buy the 2800 then all of the parts in the P4 Shuttle will be moved to the AMD and vice versa. Thanks for any help.

well, the xp 2800+ is actually supposed 2 beat the P4 2.4 and if oc'ed to 3k+ could beat the p4 3ghz, i think its cause of the cycles, amd make'em faster.

Comment

I say go with AMD, you'll have the best overclock-ability with it, not to mention the best stock performance of the two

Comment

My follow up question is, "What are ya primary uses for it?".

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
          My follow up question is, "What are ya primary uses for it?".
          Its my workstation and gaming machine so I'll do a little of everything on it. Right now I'm into Ghost Recon and Soldier Of Fortune 2 but I can't wait to get my hands on Half Life 2!

Comment

Amd is the way !!!

Comment

well, the xp 2800+ is actually supposed 2 beat the P4 2.4 and if oc'ed to 3k+ could beat the p4 3ghz, i think its cause of the cycles, amd make'em faster.
              Are u referring to the 2.4 a, b or c? there is a huge difference in preformance between the 2.4a and 2.4c.

I personally really like the hyper threading of the 2.4c and would lean in that dirrection assuing the shuttle can support the HT and 800 FSB.

Comment

Originally posted by VinnieVen
                Are u referring to the 2.4 a, b or c? there is a huge difference in preformance between the 2.4a and 2.4c.

I personally really like the hyper threading of the 2.4c and would lean in that dirrection assuing the shuttle can support the HT and 800 FSB.
                Yes, it does support both HT and 800 FSB. Also I've read that the 2.4C is a very good overclocker and can easily run at 3+ GHz.

All of the reviews I've read seem to favor the P4 over the AMD but I've yet to see a comparision of the P4 2.4C to the AMD XP 2800+. I'm not really concerned if the XP 2800 beats out the P4 2.8. I just have $200 left from selling my last system and want to spend that on a CPU that will be faster than the P4 2.53 I have now. My options seem to be a P4 2.4C, which I can overclock to 3GHz or the XP 2800.

Comment

wow... alot of amd lovers....well i would go for the p4 2.4 ghz 800fsb .....the 800 fsb makes a whole lot of difference compared to the regular 533 fsb:woot:

Comment

the 2.4c can easily clock up to 3 gig, no problem.. i have my 2.6 at 3.31 ont he stock cooler at the moment, temp up to 55C on full load. They can really fly.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna go for the P4 2.4C. Think the prices will go down any with the introduction today of the P4 3.2GHz?

Comment

sorry dont think the prices will go down....if at all...it mihgt go down a few dollars

Comment

Intel dosent expect a price drop for the next couple months

Comment

What programs should I use to do some benchmarks on my system to see how much faster it is once I put in the P4 2.4C?

Comment

Well ya can always check out the impressive memory bandwidth using Pc Mark 2002, it will also meassure the pure cpu power and hdd.

Btw nice choise, that cpu will last ya some time.. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X