CD and DVD Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD and DVD Drive

Hey guys! I finally have enough money to buy a DVD and CD drive. There are so many out there that I don't know really which one is better than another or if they are all pretty good. You tell me.

I was looking at the Samsung combo drive that has 52x24x52 speeds and 16x DVD speeds. It runs at $83 at XPCGEAR. But than again i am hesitant to get those all in one deals.

Maximum PC recomends the Plextor PXW4824TA/BPS CD-RW drive and the Sony DRU-500A DVD Burner.

I am confused. ANy help would be appreciated. Thanx and have a great time.

Chaos ROCKS!:flames:

Originally posted by Chaos
    Hey guys! I finally have enough money to buy a DVD and CD drive. There are so many out there that I don't know really which one is better than another or if they are all pretty good. You tell me.

I was looking at the Samsung combo drive that has 52x24x52 speeds and 16x DVD speeds. It runs at at XPCGEAR. But than again i am hesitant to get those all in one deals.

Maximum PC recomends the Plextor PXW4824TA/BPS CD-RW drive and the Sony DRU-500A DVD Burner.

I am confused. ANy help would be appreciated. Thanx and have a great time.

Chaos ROCKS!:flames:
    Combo drives are good enough if you only want to burn CDs and use DVD discs. However, you've then written that you are looking at a seperate CD burner and DVD burner. The combo drive doesn't act as a DVD burner, but the seperate drive will. It all depends on what you want.

Also something to take into consideration is the amount of free IDE ports / spaces on your case. Have you got the space for two drives instead of one? Enough free IDE connectors? If you wanted to get another IDE drive later one (another HDD, etc), could you accommodate that drive as well?

In the end it's up to you. Combo drives have picked up their game a fair bit recently, and will suffice for pretty much all users.

Comment

Well, I have a CD-RW drive and DVD-ROM drive, and I prefer that set-up, do to bteer possibilities, Write on the Fly etc. And ive always been sorta wary of combo drives. And FYI, I use the following s my two drives:

Memorex 52X24X52CDRW Pacific Dig. 16X DVDROM, i got the two for around $80 total, and they work great together

Comment

I have that Samsung combo and love it. I got it at Compusa for $100. I could have got it online for cheaper but I'm not that patient.

Comment

Plextor makes an excelent CD burner, but I'm not sure if they make DVD/CD-RW drives

but like Beefy said, are you looking for a DVD-Burner and a CD Burner or a DVD-Rom/CD-RW combo drive?

I think DVD-RW drives will also burn CD's, but I aint sure about that one

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
            I think DVD-RW drives will also burn CD's, but I aint sure about that one
            Most do, but not at the greatest speeds.

Comment

oh sorry about the mixup. I do not want a DVD burner. Just a DVD player and a CD RW. As far as space, i have plenty of that. i can handle up to 4 optical drives.

Thanx for your support. I still have not made my decision, but I will tell you what I am going to get when i have decided.

Chaos

Comment

I prefer one of each not only for "on the fly" burning but also for redundency purposes.

Comment

OK guys....thanx for the support. I am going to get the Light-On CDRW and i think maybe a Sony DVD, but i am not settled on that part. Anyways thanx again.

Comment

I have a Samsung combo drive in my Gbox and I love it its a bit slower than some drives at CD audio extraction but its plenty fast for me and as an added bonus its very quiet. much quieter than my Pioneer DVD ROM and my Lite-On CDRW drives..
                    :thumb:

Comment

i was just thinking that is it possible to add more than two optical drives on one secondary IDE? :?:
                      sorry for me being so ignorant when it comes to hardware but what i want is to add one more optical drive (a DVD drive may be). i already have a CD-ROM drive and a CD-RW drive set as slave and master respectively.
                      i have my primary IDE full with two HDD's...so is there anyway that i can add another ODD without throwing my CD-ROM drive away? it could be a hypothetical question but i was just wondering that whether it is possible or not :cheers:
                      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                      Last Updated:
                      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                      ======================
                      jabber : [email protected]
                      =======================
                      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                      yabaa dabaa doo...
                      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
                        i was just thinking that is it possible to add more than two optical drives on one secondary IDE? :?:
                        nope, only 2 devices per channel..besides, with only 2-3 berg connectors per cable and one being attached to the mobo; how would you attach a third one if it was possible

but you can get adapter cards that will give you 2 more IDE channelsl (4 more devices) faily cheep

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
                          but you can get adapter cards that will give you 2 more IDE channelsl (4 more devices) faily cheep
                          now that is wat i was looking as an answer ;)
                          so you have any links where i can read more about them?
                          Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                          Last Updated:
                          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                          ======================
                          jabber : [email protected]
                          =======================
                          Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                          yabaa dabaa doo...
                          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I don't know of any articles, but this is one of many, just to give you an idea:

Comment

Heres an Australian Retailer, this page contains ATA and RAID controllers. You can get a nice cheap one for AU$50

If you check I think some of the products have reviews.

Comment

Working...
                              X