Barton vs Thoroughbred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barton vs Thoroughbred

Hey ya'll amd fans, which of those two performs better at stock? :)

AMD Athlon XP2500+ Barton 1833MHz/1.83GHz 128/512Kb 333MHz 0.13 bulk SocketA XP2500BA

AMD Athlon XP2600+ Thoroughbred 2083MHz/2.083GHz 256Kb 333MHz 0.13 bulk SocketA

/THX

I'm trying to make a decision between those two CPU's myself

but what I'm more interested in, is which one overclocks better :?:

Comment

I've heard that barton oc really good, the Barton chip is like $10 cheaper than the Thoroughbred atm to. It's the extended cache that draws my attension. :)

I was looking at Epox 8rda+, what was that "+" standing for again..? Was it needed in order to support Barton or what?

Comment

don't know what the "+" is for :shrug:

nforce2 boards (specificly the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe) can unlock a barton right? the same way they can unlock a t-bred?

...I'm planning on researching the answer, I just thought I'd ask
        :cheers:

btw, most, if not all, nforce2 boards will support a barton with a bios upgrade

EDIT: yea, I've answered my own question...unlocked from factory, just like t-bred b....i guess it shouldn't be a surprise since since the only difference between the cores is the cache size :)

Comment

My thoery is: The barton will OC more. This is because of the extra L2, which allows for a higher rating at lower clock speeds, and thus less heat, meaning more OCing. Ive never tried OCing either chips though so dont quote me on this, its just my own thoery.

Comment

Personally the XP2600+ works better for me and with mine at an easy 2.26GHz it flies and at stock speeds the XP2600+ is still the faster which is why I stick with T'bred CPU's (AMD lost the plot IMHO with Barton ratin's).

Comment

the barton 2500 oc's pretty good but you gotta get the aqxea stepping, from what i've read...if you wanna good non-barton, just get the 1700+ DLT3C chips...unless L2 cache is that important to you.....

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker
                I've heard that barton oc really good, the Barton chip is like cheaper than the Thoroughbred atm to. It's the extended cache that draws my attension. :)

I was looking at Epox 8rda+, what was that "+" standing for again..? Was it needed in order to support Barton or what?

the + means that extra IEEEfirewire and maybe onboard Soundstorm 6.1
                and every nforce Ultra 400chip support Barton and for the oldest version I think it is better to flash the Bios
                The extra L2 gives you abit faster in some applications and increase bandwith good for playing games
                I might be wrong though:rolleyes:

Comment

i believe it's a 5-7% increase at most...but i think i did read 15% for some non-everyday applications, tho....i'd rather just go with the higher speed and lower L2...just my 2 cents....

Comment

This mabye creeping away from the topic but i will post it anyway :)

Im looking to buy a new AMD mobo currently, im looking at either the -
                    Epox 8RDA3+ nForce2 OR Asus A7N8X Deluxe nForce2

They are both the same price, which one runs better :P

Thanks

Comment

Note: This is a complete cut 'n paste from another post in a similar thread

The difference between the Barton and Tbred? The extra cache, thats it.

Take a look at these die shots:

The first is a Tbred core, note the two blocks at the bottom. Thats lvl2 cache. The 2nd pic is of a Barton core note the only difference is the extra cache.

Performance wise, the extra cache does almost nothing for the Athlon. IMHO its not worth the cost. Grab a cheap 2200+ Tbred for ~$130AU or a 2400+ Tbred for ~$150AU and overclock it, the extra mhz will do far more for performance than the cache will.

Cheers,
                      Tom

At the stock speed, the 2600+ will be faster than the 2500+ the extra cache in the Bartons does almost nothing for it

Comment

some places are still selling 1700+ DLT3C JIUHB chips...you may wanna look at those before the other chips..prices vary from $41 to $65....gameve.com, svc.com, excaliberpc.com, newegg.com (newegg's been shipping a lot of tbred a's lately, tho.)

Comment

Working...
                        X