Better Overclocking P4C?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Overclocking P4C?

Hey foks. I'm soon going to be putting together my custom rig, trying to get best bang for buck of course. Even still, she's going to be a pretty large can of whooping of the arse. Here's what I have so far for those interested:
    ----------------------------
    Pentium 2.4C
    Abit IS7-E
    OCZ 2x256MB DDR 3700 Gold
    Sapphire 9700 (hoping to get a overclockable set of RAM on it)
    SB Audigy 2
    Antec PLUSVIEW1000AMG
    2 extra Antec Blue LED 80mm Fans
    Enermax 465W PSU
    Altec Lansing 251
    WD 80gb 8mb cache
    Liteon CDRW/DVD combo drive
    ----------------------------

Now, my question: Currently I plan on taking the 2.4C to atleast 3ghz at 1:1 ratio. However, if theres a pentium 'C' that will overclock better than the 2.4 (maybe the 2.6?), please let me know. Also any other reccomendations would be appreciated, keeping in mind I have some sort of budget.

if you are really trying to get the most for your money, why didn't you go with AMD?

besides, they OC better than any p4 ;)

:2cents:

Comment

well, if i can get a 2.4 to 3.0 (and I may go higher eventually), I'm happy. I know athlon's are good overclockers too (thats what I'm running now), but I've decided on intel for the higher fsb opportunities and well... it was time for a change : peace:

even still u made me think it over again lol
      thanks, lookin forward to what else ya's have to say

Comment

2.4 to 3.0, no problem. u should be able to do that right out of the box. I have my 2.6 up to 3.33 at the moment on OEM HSF. However, I am using a p4c800 deluxe, and have no experience with that abit board. I expect that u should be able to get a good 25% overclock with any of the p4 "C" CPU's. I have OCZ pc3500 ram in my system. I know that the asus p4p800 is also an excellent overclocker.

Edit: The cpu on full load is at 52C while the roomtemp is 23C

Comment

VinnieVen:
          Yeah I just built my friend's 2.4 on the P4P800, solid mobo's. Reason I chose the IS7-E is cause I dont need all the bells and whistles, just performance and after looking up on it - it seems to be right up there with the Asus brands and is only costing me $130 canadian ($97 US).
          Questions: Do you have the enhanced latency OCZ modules, and what CPU:RAM ratio are you running at?
          Thanks.

Comment

I'm running at 1:1...

Here is the ram that I am using.

That is pretty cheap for a board. Wherabouts in Canada are u? whats your source for tha board?

Comment

Okay so then you got the 3500EL up to 254 memory fsb, correct? Did you kick back the tight timings at all?

I live near Toronto, about 30 mins away. Here's the site I'm using for about half the parts, rest either from a different site or heading off to a store.
              pccanada.com
              Not sure if they ship across the border, if you're interested you'd have to ask. Let me know if you're interested in any other sites north of the border, you might just be able to save some cash in the future.
              Here's the specific link to the Mobo page:
              LINK

Comment

Since we're here without me starting a new thread...
                I'm stuck on my options between two different PSU's. I can stick with this PSU (Enermax 465W), or get a Thermaltake 480W for 5 bucks cheaper. Now, I've heard mostly good things about Enermax, but I've heard the 5v rail can be trouble sometimes. I've heard the same type of story for the Thermaltake ones though too, so I don't know which to choose. I'm only concerned because I want a stable PSU to overclock with. Any insight on this?

Comment

I live in Guelph so I'm not too far from you.

check out www.canadacomputers.com as they also have some pretty cheap prices.

For the ram, I didnt touch the timings on it whatsoever, though I get freezing if I bump up to 260 FSB.

For the PSU, I like the Enermax 350W EG365P-VE (FC) w/ Fan Control, or u can bump up the the next level at 450 watts. 350 watt is $70, 430 watt is $103 at the above URL.

Just be warned that this place is crazy on saturdays, takes at least an hour to get in and out. Sundays and the rest of the week are fine. They have a location at College and Spadina, and one at Pacific Mall.

Comment

Oh wow, didn't realize you lived so close, was just assuming that you're from the states.
                    Okay then I guess I'll go with the Enermax (undecided on what wattage yet). Yeah CC is where I'll be getting most of the other components for the system, I been there once. I go to the one in Markham (pacific mall) as it's only about 20 mins away... I look and feel like an outsider there, but they have good prices so... lol

Now I don't know wether to get your ram or the 3700 gold. On review sites the gold has OCed to 250ish which would get me to 3ghz @ 1:1, but I'll have to find out if the 3500el will take me farther. I'm not overly concerned about timings.

Comment

If youre close to pacific mall, u should head over to their warehouse as it is only a few minutes away. That way u are pretty much guaranteed to get what u want. I've run into problems a few times tryin gto get parts that were out of stck and thier stores, but instock at the warehouse. I have no experience with the pc3700 ram, so i cant tell u anything about it, other than what might be found online.

Comment

Okay, cool. Not sure why but I've always assumed the warehouse wasn't able to sell product, guess I'll look into that, thanks.

Yeah I think I'll stick with the 3700 gold. Sounds promising atleast, and hell it's sprayed GOLD so I'll be able to turn it into a x-mas gift eventually when it's time to upgrade lol.

Comment

2.4 to 3.0, no problem. u should be able to do that right out of the box. I have my 2.6 up to 3.33 at the moment on OEM HSF. However, I am using a p4c800 deluxe, and have no experience with that abit board. I expect that u should be able to get a good 25% overclock with any of the p4 "C" CPU's. I have OCZ pc3500 ram in my system. I know that the asus p4p800 is also an excellent overclocker.

Last edited by VinnieVen on 07-06-2003 at 01:31 AM

Posted Originally by VinnieVen

Hey! I also have pentium 4 2.66 Mhz at 533Mhz bus, I dont know what the "C" stands for according to you, but how can i overclock mine to reach the 3.33?

Comment

Originally posted by crazysniper22

Last edited by VinnieVen on 07-06-2003 at 01:31 AM

Posted Originally by VinnieVen

Hey! I also have pentium 4 2.66 Mhz at 533Mhz bus, I dont know what the "C" stands for according to you, but how can i overclock mine to reach the 3.33?
                            The "C" stands for 800 front side bus. How much u can overclock is dependant on the motherboard that u have and the ram.

Comment

Oh i see... the "C" is stands for 800 MHz bus speed. Mine is only 533 MHz. I there a way to overclock mine? My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-8INXP dual channel DDR, 4 memory slots, but at the moment i only used one slot fitted with Kingmax PC3200 400MHz 512 DDR Gold

Comment

Working...
                              X