Windows Prefetch folder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Prefetch folder?

Whats the Windows Prefetch folder for? Can I delete it without affecting Windows XP? I hate always deleting all the files from it to keep my system up to top performance. If the folder is not there I'm assuming the files that normally accumulate there will no longer be created.

Don't delete the prefetch folder. Prefetching (enabled when the Task Scheduler is running) allows your programs to load up much more quickly. You can delete the files in it every once in a while, but leave the folder and its contents for best performance.
    My Machine

Comment

Originally posted by PersianImmortal
      Don't delete the prefetch folder. Prefetching (enabled when the Task Scheduler is running) allows your programs to load up much more quickly. You can delete the files in it every once in a while, but leave the folder and its contents for best performance.
      O.K. but what happens when its deleted?

Comment

Try it and tell us. I usually don't delete stuff I know is useful to the system.
        My Machine

Comment

on a similar note I've heard you can disable the prefetcher if you like its as simple as changing a reistry entry..

open REGEDIT

navigate to:
          \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet
          \Control\SessionManager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

change the value of EnablePrefetcher to 0 to disable the prefetcher.. change it back to 3 to reeneable it.

I find my work PC is slower with it enabled but my home PC is slower with it disabled.. go figure..:shrug:

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalDD
            on a similar note I've heard you can disable the prefetcher if you like its as simple as changing a reistry entry..

open REGEDIT

navigate to:
            \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet
            \Control\SessionManager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

change the value of EnablePrefetcher to 0 to disable the prefetcher.. change it back to 3 to reeneable it.

I find my work PC is slower with it enabled but my home PC is slower with it disabled.. go figure..:shrug:

I just disabled it so I hope it eliminates all the unnessary build up. Thanks for the good information:thumb: .

Comment

Working...
            X