No announcement yet.

any special prep reqd. 4 win98=>winxp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any special prep reqd. 4 win98=>winxp?

hail cleverheads! ;]

i have win98 installed but cannot deal with the crashing any longer;(
    for a nice clean install of winxp do i need to do anything more than the standard fdisk/format combo that i have done (so many times) in the past when re-installing win98 ?
    or should i do something else/different ?

thanks in advance :afro:

Easiest way to install is just pop the CD in the drive and boot from CD. You can do all the formatting / partitioning from within the installation.

Comment

As long as your motherboard is capable of booting from the CD, you don't even have to do that. Just boot from the WinXP disk and it will give you the option of changing up your partitions and formatting. When formatting, just make sure to use the FULL format choice and not the quick and you'll be set. I also would recommend using the NTFS file system as it is a bit more secure than the older FAT32 used in your Win98 setup.

Just remember that if you change up your partitions you'll lose all data on the drive. Also remember to back up email messages, address books and the Favorites folder plus any vital data (I always make a backup copy of my Trillian folder so that I can retain settings and messages from online chat services).
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

I would recomend going and DL
        4in1s (the newest)
        Checking for new BIOS
        DirectX
        And all the drivers for modem/nic/sound/video/whatever else you got.
        Drivers for 98 wont work for XP and if you got original CDs the drivers are most likely out of date. Since youre doing a new install, I would getting the newest drivers.
        Put it on a CDr or something

:thumb:
        HTH

Comment

beefy, dart, kane - n1 lads, appreciate your input.

mission - accomplished ;)

:afro:

Comment

and after you are done with installing XP...don't forget to go here :thumb:
            Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
            Last Updated:
            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
            ======================
            jabber : [email protected]
            =======================
            Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
            yabaa dabaa doo...
            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

:wow:

asklepios did you read my mind? hehe i have spent some time there recently:thumb:

n1 man, thanks ;]

Comment

Win98 (along with the other Win9x family oses) usually crashes when it doesn't have the missin' .vxd files loaded.

Comment

he installed WinXP Wiggo ;)
                  Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                  Last Updated:
                  10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                  ======================
                  jabber : [email protected]
                  =======================
                  Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                  yabaa dabaa doo...
                  Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I know but I just thought that he should know the reason behind the instability just in case he has to deal with Win9x again. ;)

Comment

ahaa more psp at TweakTown?
                      Wiggo the Wise, I have actually considered going back, such is my frustration with certain XP 'features' ........... basically I have a big bag on my head right now as I try to remove OutlookExpress and a few other ms limpet mines.
                      I just wasted several hours crawling around the web, not finding a solution before I (thankfully) remembered that here is the font of all knowledge! hehe ..... sheeesh I'm dumb.... thanks lads.

:afro: :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                      X