networking over....dsl.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• networking over....dsl.....

can i connect 2 comps over a hub(3 nics) to a pppoe dsl......? or is it just impossible because of required user/password?

Yes you can.

Chez

Comment

well yes and no
      if you want to connect the dsl modem straight to the hub and get the computers working straight off, no

you have another 2 choices though:
      1. buy a router and place it between your modem and hub
      2. set up one of the computers to be your router - it shares the net to the network and thus, the other computer.
      TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

A)If you buy a router, you don't need a hub.
        B)If you use ICS just plug the second computer into the "master" which is connected to the net, you will have to leave this one on all the time, and only be able to use one computer at a time to browse.

Routers are cheap enough now, that it is probably your best bet. Get a 3-4 port Dsl/Cable router and you will be in business for around $40-$50 and be able to browse with both computers at the same time,

JMHO,
        Chez

I was a DSL Tech and that is what we always recommended. That way you also have a Hardware firewall as well.

Comment

so........if i get a router.....can i browse with both comps.......doesn't it need the user/password? since its pppoe.
          or will it work with a router even if its pppoe.

Comment

Who is your ISP, don't tell me its SBC YAHOO!?

Anyway, the router will connect you and send the username and password.

So yes.

Chez

Comment

how did you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yes my isp is sbc yahoo, don't got any other choice, and as of what i've heard, they don't like routers........

Comment

Cause I was a DSL TECH for them and they are the only fuc$#%% company that sells DSL with a USER NAME AND PASSWORD and you have to log on like it is freakin' dial up.
                They suck!!!!!!!!!!! I would drop them the minute you can.
                Enternet 300 sucks a$$ and you don't need to load any of that other free bull**** btw.
                If you are using XP, don't use enternet 300. It will mess things up.
                XP has its own PPPOE software.
                The router isn't the problem. They just won't support it if you have a problem, they make you take the router out of the system and only hook one computer up through the modem, which I assume you have a Speedstream 5360.

Don't buy a router from them either, they suck a$$ too. They have a cayman, and a 2wire, and they both are a pain in the a$$.

What you need to do is get a router, set it up with the PPPOE settings, put a check in the box that says I need to use a user name and password, and it will keep you connected. If you get bumped off because after 6 hours of no activity SBC knocks you off, the router will automatically resend the info and you will get a new IP address and be back online. It does all of this in the backround, so you won't even notice. That is what is nice about having a router with their ****hole of an ISP.

I feel like I am back at work!!!!!!!!!!!!

What windows version are you running?

And if you have anymore questions, ask away. I obviously know my sh$t when it comes to this ISP.

Chez

Comment

do you have msn or anyfin? i could use the lil help since am on sbc...

as you can see on my sig, i got xp pro and hell no, i don't use their sbc yahoo cd, i know how 2 set that up with xp's pppoe. i got a speedstream 5260, got the dsl like 2 years ago or so.......i only need 2 connect 2 comps with same dsl and as it seems, i'll have 2 get the router, there's other isp's around but i don't really like'em.

Comment

All you need to do is pick up a 3 or 4 port dsl/router, hook it up(it will tell you exactly how) and you will be in business.

Chez

Comment

Originally posted by chezman
                      A)If you buy a router, you don't need a hub.
                      B)If you use ICS just plug the second computer into the "master" which is connected to the net, you will have to leave this one on all the time, and only be able to use one computer at a time to browse.
                      A) If he buys just a plain router with no inbuilt switch, he will NEED the hub
                      B) The "master" computer doesn't need to be on all the time, its just convenient to have it on all the time so you can use the net from the second computer whenever you want. No matter which way you share the net, both computers will be able to browse, game and download to your heart's content, you only limits will be the speed of DSL, any download limits you may have (do you even have those in the states?)
                      TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Andy,

I was a DSL TECH for the ISP he is using.

All he needs is a 4 port cable/dsl router. He hooks the modem into the router, then the 2 nic cables into the router and he can browse off both computer at the same time, sharing the bandwidth.
                        I may be mistaken. But I was a DSL TECH for SBC YAHOO, the ISP he is using and that is what I did all day long what get people hooked up over the phone and diagnosed problems and ran customers through the fixes.

I can still be wrong though. If I am missing something, by all means let me know.

Chez

PS Nobody uses hubs in my neck of the woods anymore, switches are pretty much the standard around here. For his application and how his PPPOE service is though, it requires a user name and password, which the router will take care of so he is constantlly connected since it will pick up a new IP if he gets booted(they boot after 6 hours of no usage) If he uses a switch he will then have to log on everytime. The system sucks, the isp sucks, and the 4port cable/dsl router trick is how I got my customers around the ****ty service. He inputs his wan, lan, gateway, and the PPPOE username and password into the router and it does all the work. It also forces the DNS which is also a bonus as well.

Comment

Andy,

I was a DSL TECH for the ISP he is using.

I can still be wrong though. If I am missing something, by all means let me know.

Chez

PS Nobody uses hubs in my neck of the woods anymore, switches are pretty much the standard around here. For his application and how his PPPOE service is though, it requires a user name and password, which the router will take care of so he is constantlly connected since it will pick up a new IP if he gets booted(they boot after 6 hours of no usage) If he uses a switch he will then have to log on everytime. The system sucks, the isp sucks, and the 4port cable/dsl router trick is how I got my customers around the ****ty service. He inputs his wan, lan, gateway, and the PPPOE username and password into the router and it does all the work. It also forces the DNS which is also a bonus as well.
                          Andy was right in what he said. It doesn't matter what ISP it is. Some routers don't come with built in switches. So you'd need a hub / switch on this side of the router. And as for only one computer browsing at a time with ICS, that's not right either.

The terms 'hub' and 'switch' get used fairly loosely, so when talking about one you can usually assume that it applies to both, unless it's specifics about something a switch can do. So if someone says they need a hub, then yeah, a switch would do fine as well.

Comment

Thanks Beefy, Like I said correct me if I am wrong. Didn't know some routers don't come with switches. I was thinking of a 4 port cable/dsl router, and said so, and they come with a switch.

I didn't say anything about ICS using only one computer at a time. Cause I have never used ICS so I wouldn't know.

About the hub, switch issue. All I know is a switch is better and they cost a little more so why not just go with a switch.

The same with the 4 port cable/dsl router issue. Why buy a switch for $20-$30 when you can get a 4 port cable/dsl router issue for around $40-$50 and have a lot more functionality.

Thanks for the info.

Chez

Comment

*cough*

Comment

Working...
                              X