AMD 2500 Barton Question????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 2500 Barton Question????

I own a MSI KT3 mobo and a 2200 XP cpu, I'm about to upgrade the system but want to know what will suit me best.......
    My system includes 512 DDR 333 ram and a Geforce FX 5600, 350w power supply and a volcano 7 fan......
    The upgrade consists of a MSI mobo suitable for a 2600 xp CPU, don't want to spend money on anything else but I want to buy something I could easily and succesfully overclock........ I've been reading that the 2500 XP Barton is the best you can get because of its overclocking capabilities.......... I know if I want to overclock I need a good cooling device, I could spend a few dollars in that, if it's necessary, no problem........ what I want to know is if I will be able to succesfully overclock the 2500 xp barton cpu with a MSI mobo and my Kingston ddr 333 (2700) RAM? or if I would need to buy anything else to achieve that?........ if that is the case I would have no other choice but to buy the XP 2600, because I could only afford a mobo and cpu within that range.
    Thanx alot I would really appreciate your advice....... maybe you can guide me or give a tip in how to give my 2200 XP a tweak!

The 2500xp is a great choice now a days since its fairly inexpesive for the cpu and prices are going down on them every other week. As far as overclocking i have mine 2500 running at 2.1ghz and its being recognized as the 3200+ and its rock stable. I have it running on the Asus A7N8X2.0 Deluxe, for any motherboard i suggest getting any thing with the Nforce 2 chipset as it will give you the best overclocking and preformance results at the moment. For cooling i use the Volcano 7+ that i lapped it myself and i used Arctic silver ceramique to install it. The temps are amazing today is a faily cool day id say its 20C outside my cpu idle is 33C and load is 35C the mboard is around 26C. When it gets realllly hot here say 30C my cpu goes to about 42C (load) and motherboard goes to 37C. For ram i use 2x 256mb Crucial sticks. I bet all that stuff is great and all but you already have a 2200+ what i suggest that you do is get an nforce 2 mobo and another identical stick of 512mb 333mhz ram and you can really overclock it nicely with a new mobo. I dont reallly think you should spend the money on a new cpu id say just overclock the old one.

Comment

Yes I'd use a 2nd generation nforce2 mobo also (8RDA3+ in fact as I prefer EPoX mobo's) and Volcano 7+ or Volcano 11 but I'd go for 2x256MB of PC3500 memory to supply some headroom for overclockin' on a 200MHz (400DDR) FSB. :devil win

Comment

Thanx in advance to everyone in Tweaktown.com.....
        Mr Wiggo........ I was hoping you would show up soon or later.... I plan on getting myself a K7nForce mobo the one you suggest.

As for right now I want to overclock my actual system without touching the cpu (no joining bridges).... practically just messing around with the voltage and fsb...... I've been reading a lot but want to get it directly from you, I'm a beginner at this so take it easy on me..... I understand you have a 2200XP, thats exactly what I Have!..... Just point me out how to and give me a few pointers..... How far can I go?

My system is:
        MSI KT3 Ultra 2
        AMD 2200 XP
        Kingston 256mb 333 (another 256mb already shipped for me!)
        Thermaltake volcano7+
        Geforce FX 5600

Regards, Hector Pavon

Comment

Yes I have an XP2200 but it's a T'bred A which tops out at 1930MHz stable (even with XMS3200 memory) so I use it in an EPoX 8K5A3+ @1900MHz as my server (6 IDE channels) but even my XP1800+ Palamino in a 8KA3 is overclocked purely on the FSB with a 0.1v core increase though if ya usin' WinXP then ya'd do better with 512MB of memory.

Comment

Thanx for your concern, I appreciate it, very helpfull for me......
            I undestand the top fsb will be 143, but what about the voltage? 1.75 is ok???? how do I do this?..... just increasing directly from 133 to 143 fsb or is ti done gradually?........ can it be increased a bit then restart the system, and son on till I reach 143fsb or the system has to run a few days with every bit of increment???
            Is it the same procedure for the voltage?

For the record, I double checked on my HSF, it's a Volcan7 not a volcano7+.

I can't wait to do it!!!...... Thanx

Comment

Raisin' the CPU's core voltage is done in the BIOS and with your HSF a max of 1.8v should be as far as ya go though 1.75v should be plenty but do keep an eye on ya temps (raisin' ya memory voltage in BIOS by 0.1v may help as well). This guide should help ya a lot as well.

Good luck with it as luck plays a big part in overclockin'.

Comment

Working...
              X