Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Netscape

RIP Netscape

On Tuesday, AOL Time Warner closed the Netscape browser division and laid off or reassigned most of the development team. AOL has agreed to donate Mozilla-related trademarks, the mozilla.org domain name and equipment (such as the mozilla.org servers) to the Mozilla Foundation. Some staff will be kept on for a couple of months to help with the transition.

While some Netscape developers will continue to contribute to Mozilla as volunteers, the team as a whole will be missed. Netscape made commercial browser development a reality and later showed the world that a major proprietary product could be successfully turned into an open-source project. Messages from ex-Netscape employees can be found at ex-mozilla.org.
    (http://www.mozilla.org/status/2003-07-18.html)

it's was sad day when Netscape died, but I guess it was inevitable. May Mozilla prosper and kick IE's ass ;)

I just downloaded Mozilla afew days ago because IE was screwin up, and It does already kick IE's ass IMHO. and now it shall get better and better!

Comment

Mozilla been my browser of choice for a while now and I take every oportunity to install it on as many computers as I can
      :devil:

Comment

i always found mozilla a bit clunky but been using firebird for last few days and it really is gud.
        especially the shortcuts that IE and firebird share are really kewl :thumb:
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Thhats what Im using Asklepios, Firebird 0.6

Comment

Yeah you should use whatever suit ya best, but IMO you should avoid adding some crap to Windows that it don't really needs. It's like using software to take screenshots etc which windows have been able to do for years..

Btw IE is the only way to go if you want all your pages to be guarantied shown correct without errors.. I wouldn't call anything less than that kick ass..
            And the stability should not even be brought up.. ;)

Comment

I remember YEARS ago when I was a DIE HARD netscape fanatic! (I am talking win 95 days people) But the option to go with IE was just too tempting! Stability being the biggest issue. Although browser interface and other things were not that far behind my decision to go all the way with IE! To me, it has just seemed that netscape never had the oppurtunity to really develop like it should after Microsoft entered the market! Because microsoft created the Operating Systems and always had a leg up on netscape!

So they integrated IE into their system while netscape was left out in the cold. It seemed after a while, that things got worse and worse as far as working with each new windows version.... with each "new" version that netscape put out! But that is what competition is all about. Though I hardly think Microsoft was using fair business practices, it would not suprise me at all if we read a reoprt someday that said microsoft deliberately made windows to crash if netscape was used! It is sad to see all those people losing their jobs, but that is life! Hopefully they can find a project like mozilla that they can work on.
              Here are my specs:
              System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker
                Btw IE is the only way to go if you want all your pages to be guarantied shown correct without errors.. I wouldn't call anything less than that kick ass..
                And the stability should not even be brought up.. ;)
                That's not strictly true... IE interprets some HTML a bit differently than it should... if you want 100% accuracy, Opera is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
                  That's not strictly true... IE interprets some HTML a bit differently than it should... if you want 100% accuracy, Opera is the way to go.
                  i won't agree with that Osiris.
                  when it comes to 100% accuracy on ALL sites then IE is the way to go though i agree that Opera is one hell of a browser and i have it on both my Windows as well as Linux installs :thumb:
                  Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                  Last Updated:
                  10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                  ======================
                  jabber : [email protected]
                  =======================
                  Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                  yabaa dabaa doo...
                  Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
                  X