Lan party setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lan party setup

ive never been to a lan party and i was just wondering how you would go by settign one up.

do you need a router? a switch??

i have a 16 port switch laying around and if i get bored i might mess around with a few of my comps just to mess around with the switch and what not. if im planning on playing unreal tournament or a multiplayer game like that how do u set up the comps so i can play with everyone on the network??

i tried searchign but i only got 1 reply. thanx guys, Tom

well, if you are planning on hosting a LAN, 16ports may not be enough, as for a good LAN, you need at least 30 people.

Also, playing just UT would suck, so get other LAN games like bf1942, CS, etc.

I would also suggest going to a local LAN and seeing how things work. That way you get a better idea of what you'll need.

I would suggest getting one system to be a dedicated game server, and installing some anti-cheat software, as you never know who;s got what up their sleeve. :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
      well, if you are planning on hosting a LAN, 16ports may not be enough, as for a good LAN, you need at least 30 people.
      Really depends on what you're playing... some of my favorite LAN memories come from an eight-port hub :).

[b]I would suggest getting one system to be a dedicated game server, and installing some anti-cheat software, as you never know who;s got what up their sleeve. :thumb:
      Generally I find that if you're having your own small LAN with friends, cheating shouldn't be an issue.

Really all you need is the boxes, the games, your switch and a few good friends :).

Comment

ok well so far im positve i know all the thigns i need to make it work but lets get to the next part of it. lets say i have 10 comps hooked up to play. do i need to specially configure each comp?? it i am playing a multiplayer game, will the game automatically see that there r 9 other trying to play along with me??
        thanx, Tom

Comment

As to answer your question. As long as the network is setup (all systems see eachother under windows), all you do is go to the server machine (if you have 10 or so people, it doesnt have to be dedicated) and just create a game, than all the other people could just go and join the game. :thumb:

Hey, I just noticed you in chicago! Can I join the LAN?????? :D I can help you set everything up :)

Comment

PS. Make a CD with the latest patches of the games you're planning on playing, as some games need all the users to be using the same version. Also this goes for any mods you might want to add. :2cents:

Comment

know who;s got what up their sleeve. :thumb:

i play with 4 of my best buds every day at my house using a 8 port router, and we all have so much fun.

and for games, cs, BF-1942, WC3, D2 and SC ar a good chose

Comment

As to answer your question. As long as the network is setup (all systems see eachother under windows), all you do is go to the server machine (if you have 10 or so people, it doesnt have to be dedicated) and just create a game, than all the other people could just go and join the game. :thumb:

Hey, I just noticed you in chicago! Can I join the LAN?????? :D I can help you set everything up :)

yeah if i plan on having one i woudlnt mind a few tweak town members showing up but im not planning on having one. i was just curious as to see how i would go by setting one up.

thanx guys, Tom

Comment

I can have one a my place with 16 PC's already online but with a gigabit switch with 8 x 10/100 ports (1 gigabit port from the server), 3 x 8 port 10/100 switches and 3 x 5 port 10/100 switches plus a 16 port 10/100 switch I can add another 24 PC's into the home network with no probs. :D

Comment

Working...
                  X