decisions on amd or intel *please help*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decisions on amd or intel *please help*

ok the time has come for an upgrade from my xp2100+@2300 (11.5x200) the two things that i am gonna upgrade is the motherboard and the cpu. should i go for a nforce 2 board with a amd 3000+(400fsb) or a p4 2.8c(400 fsb) witha springdale board.money is not the issue,performance is. for the moment it will be used with corasir xms pc3200 512mb stick(1). it is mainl used for folding/seti and gaming. overclocking is welcome but keep in mind both can be overclocked. it will be air cooling

If money isn't an object then you should get the P4 IMO, check some benchmark tests before you decide.

No matter which way you go you'll need two sticks of identical ram to use the dual channel function on those mobos.. :)

EDIT: *The "c" stands for 800Mhz fsb on that P4, not 400.

Comment

I agree. No offense to AMD fans but the P4 has better performance. I'm upgrading to a 2.8c (the FSB is 800mhz btw, not 400 :thumb: ) with an MSI Neo2-FIS2R mobo and 2 512mb sticks of Corsair 3500XMS RAM. The board beat out almost every other Springdale and Canterwood board out there in Tom's Hardware's review: http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherb...707/index.html

If you plan on doing any overclocking get 3500 or 3700. 3200 runs at 400mhz (200fsb) already, so if you wanna o/c your CPU at all, you'll also have to o'c the RAM which causes more heat and you wont be able to bring it up much. However, 3500 runs at 217fsb stock, and 3700 runs at 233fsb stock. I chose 3500 cause it leaves room to o/c and it still has great timings. Just my :2cents: . Good luck upgrading :thumb: . : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Intel seems to work a little better performance wise for Seti/Folding from my research. (even as much as I hate intel!_they do come out better)

So if you are going to pay to do someone else's homework, intel would be the way to go.

Although I would save quite a few dollars(and W/U per hour) by buying the AMD(The board and CPU is cheaper), then getting some new Ram to go with your system that will O/C better.
        Mr. Tweak just posted a new thread about Geil coming out with 4000 and 4200...

JMHO,
        Chez

Comment

Umm...The Athlon XP is the best SETI cruncher, P4's architecture isnt as good as AMD'sa when it cxomes to that, IE: AMD, 3FPU's, and 9IPC

Comment

Im an AMD loyalist... damn i hate saying that but the fact are here, go see the benchmarks: if you want a powerful but low cost system go with AMD but if you dont mind paying to get the best performance go with the new P4C.

Man i loved the time of the 2Ghz and around with the P4 Willamette... completely crushed by AMD at that time... but time have changed... for the worst...lol.

Any comments?

Comment

Umm...The Athlon XP is the best SETI cruncher, P4's architecture isnt as good as AMD'sa when it cxomes to that, IE: AMD, 3FPU's, and 9IPC
              amd_man - Ummmm...how do you explain the chart posted by TwistedMovistar in the Beergarden>distributed computing>getting under the 2hr. mark??!?!?

The P4 2.4GHz and above beat out all Amd's up to 3200 in Seti??? The P4's are crunching SETI w/u under 2 hours, yet even the AMD 3200 can't get under it?

Just curious, I just read that thread yesterday and was quite surprised. As it seems, the P4 architechure is actually the one that seems better.

Just wondering...

Chez

Comment

I cranked out a WU in under 2hrs with my 2100+, Wiggo gets some under 2hrs as well. AND the reason P4 "c"'s get under that is due to the 800mhz FSB, an Athlon at a 400FSB can crank in wus under 2hrs quite frequently, so imagine if they were on an 800FSB, theyd be 1hr or less w/us!

Comment

AMD Athlon 2100+ @ 135X13
                  EPoX EP-8RGA+
                  (2) 256mb Buffalo Technologies PC3200 in dual channel at 2-2-2-2

that is the system that put out the under 2 hr crunches? either that is not the system or that is a misprint. fill me in cause my 2100 @2300(11.5x200) won't do anything under 2 hr(2hr 30 avg). but i don't have dual channel either:shrug:

Comment

nah, he had a 'hiccup' that got him under 2 hrs ...according to his own words he averages 3.33 hrs

I'm as much a fan of AMD as anyone, but it doesn't help to be giving them false credit

but I do think Wiggo crunches then in about 2 hours with 2600+'s

I doubt dual channel will make much difference when it comes to crunching, as it mainly relies on the CPU as far as I can tell

Comment

It was definately a hiccup, But Dual Channel does help out on SETI crunching

Comment

Soooo.......at this [i]time[/b].......Intel does crunch them better.

That is all I was getting at by using the graph provided.

Seti uses the CPU, not memory, for crunching as far as I have read.

I am an AVID Amd user. I hate intel personally.
                        Although I just think in this case, we need to keep the information accurate and precise, thats all I was getting at.

As far as an AMD kicking out a(one) work unit under 2 hours. I am sure it happens. Although with the graph provided by Seti, the #'s are in intel hands and is based on numerous computers and averages.

Regards,
                        Chez

Comment

Man, im not the only one whos done sub2hr WU's and it was a hiccup and at all stock!, Theres otheres who get 1 out of 5 under 2hrs. :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                          X