PC-Cillin 2000 uninstall problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-Cillin 2000 uninstall problems

I tried to update PC-Cillin 2000, but it kept locking up. So I decided to try installing PC-Cillin 2002, but it told me to uninstall PC-Cillin 2000. I tried Add/Remove programs, but that kept locking up. I tried uninstalling through the CD, and that claims to be complete, but doesn't remove it from Add/Remove. I went to Trends web site and used their instructions to manually uninstalled the program. The folder is deleted, and I removed the keys they specified, although it is still in the add/remove list.

Now my internet isn't working properly.
    I can't transfer SETI WUs up or down, and I can't connect to Everquest, the two things I like to do best! What can I do now?

first, get a program like RegCleaner to make sure all the registry entries are gone (you can also use RegCleaner to remove apps)

Then if it still shows up under Add/Remove click on it like you were going to uninstall it, if it Windows can't find anything to unistall, it will ask you if you want to remove it from the list

after that is done, I'd recomend you use a different AV, in my mind PC-Cillin isn't worth it

there are plenty of good ones out there, my favorite is AVG which is free

Comment

I tried that and removed anything with "cillin" in it. Still the same "Fatal Error During Installation" error. :(

Comment

Have you shut down and restarted your computer since doing this? If not, I suggest you do.
        Sometimes you need to do this to let the OS configure itself back and deleting stuff, especially from the registry.

Chez

Comment

I used the other tool and removed PC-Cillin from the install list. It still shows up in Add/Remove, but now I can't even click on the remove button. Internet still isn't working correctly.

I attempted to re-install PC-Cillin 2000 again and it will allow me to now. Do you think I should install it and hope that fixes the internet, and from there try to uninstall it or just keep it?

Comment

You said you already reinstalled it right? If so, did it fix your connection?

It shouldn't hurt to install and reinstall it(RIP_) I had to do that with a lot of software while being a DSL Tech. Sometimes things didn't completely uninstall properly.
            I would reboot after each install, uninstall though so it sets your registry back. That is very important, so your OS knows what going on.

Chez

Comment

I've restarted so many times in the last half an hour I can't even count them. :mad:

Comment

Well I was wrong, I am unable to re-install PC-Cillin 2000. I'm stuck now. No files are left and everything is out of the registry. Still no EQ or SETI. I feel so lost.

Comment

What happens when you try to reinstall it?

Comment

It opens the install shield wizard and goes to a screen where it says "Click Remove to remove PC-cillin 2000 from your computer. After removal, this program will no longer be available for use." I click remove and it says "The wizard was interrupted before PC-cillin 2000 could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again."

Comment

I uninstalled and re-installed my network card and all the properties in it and I still have the same problem.

Comment

well I dunno...I hate to say something dumb, but have you scaned for viruses? you can use an online scan like these:

Detect and fix viruses, worms, spyware, and other malicious threats for free.

The best antivirus protection for all your devices: Don't be a target! Join the next generation of digital protection

Comment

I scanned earlier, but I'm scanning again. Nothing better to do after all.

Comment

I went ahead and re-formatted my hard drive. I will never again use a Trend Micro product again. I had heard that PC-Cillin was bad, but I never knew it would cause this much of a problem.

Comment

PC-Cillin isn't the greatest, but I've never known it to cause problems like this :shrug:

Comment

Working...
                              X