geforce fx5900 ultra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geforce fx5900 ultra

:shoot3: hi guys, i'm thinking about buying a geforce fx 5900 ultra with 256 mb. just need a bit of input from someone who has one, and do they really speed up the graphics. cheers

which 1 you got right now? you WILL see a diff in fps and image quality if you have an older card right now. as of 256mbs.....that'll start working with HL-2 and DOOM III(newer games....not only those)...i've heard good things about the fx5900.....kinda beats the r9800...(in some places, not all).

Comment

Great Card, got to test it with Quake 3 and Unreal 2003, very nice =D man you must be rich to afford that thing. I wish i had it instead of just testing it :cry:
      CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
      Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
      RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
      GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
      PSU: Thermaltake 500w
      SC: Audigy 2 zs
      LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
      Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
      Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

I have one.

I run UT2k3 on highest details 1600x1200 full blast @ 60fps in botmatches.

YES its a good card! :thumb:

Comment

I love my new card :D

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
            I have one.

I run UT2k3 on highest details 1600x1200 full blast @ 60fps in botmatches.

YES its a good card! :thumb:

thanks for the info!!!

i now have this card installed and it's really cool, haven't used it much, only thing i will say it does not like antialiasing at 8x?? on highest detail, any ideas???

my system

2800 althlonxp
            nvidia motherboard asus
            on board sound
            524 mb ddr 333mzh

cheers jamie

Comment

Originally posted by jamieruthven
              only thing i will say it does not like antialiasing at 8x?? on highest detail, any ideas???
              Well I think no card on the market handle that very good.

Both 5900 and 9800 is 'suposed' to manage it but as usual AA make the gaming experience to slow. (at least for me) It was the same hype when the GF4 Ti series came and those card can NOT handle AA at all.. And I have a hard time beliving that the 5900/9800 is mutch of a difference.. :2cents:

Comment

Recently I tried both the GeForce FX 5900 and the Radeon 9800 at a computer show, unfortunately none of the machines were running the same games, so it was hard to make a direct comparison. However I would say that both products were excellent, and I would be happy to own either.

Comment

Originally posted by weta
                  However I would say that both products were excellent, and I would be happy to own either.
                  Heh yeah me to, don't take me wrong those are some sweet cards I just mentioned my thoughts regarding AA.

Comment

Instead of running AA, up the resolution...it looks better, sharper, crisper, AND runs faster than using Anti-Aliasing.

I usually run 1280x1024 AA 2x/4x, and AF, or 1600x1200 with Anisotropic Filtering ON, Anti-Aliasing OFF.

Comment

I run everything at 1600x1200, 4xAA, and 4xAnsio...and it runs so nice that I bearly ever get slowdown. The only time I can think of is in UT2k3 when there are at least 5 guys on screen all jumping, fighting, wiht explosions, and at a little bit of distance...so I turn the AA down to 2x on that game.

My 2 cents...

Comment

AA is pointless at 1600x1200 because it shows no visual improvement. All it does is slow down the game.

I run it without AA at that resolution and it runs 60fps even in 16 player matches. Turning on AA only helps slow it down.

Comment

I can see a difference...I like the difference...

Comment

Originally posted by The Sylven
                            I can see a difference...I like the difference...
                            Really...well I can't, because at that res nothing is aliased in the first place......all lines are very crisp.....and the reviews say the same thing. When comparing 1600x1200 0xAA vs 8xAA, they say they reported "no noticeable change in image quality", or its so slight its not worth the tradeoff in framerate.

:shrug:

Comment

Originally posted by jamieruthven

thanks for the info!!!

i now have this card installed and it's really cool, haven't used it much, only thing i will say it does not like antialiasing at 8x?? on highest detail, any ideas???

my system

2800 althlonxp
                              nvidia motherboard asus
                              on board sound
                              524 mb ddr 333mzh

cheers jamie
                              Make sure you get updated drivers from www.nvidia.com ....

However, from my testing, the new 45.23's suck ass, the image quality got a lot worse. I loaded up Warcraft III (at 1600x1200 like usual) and it was jagged all to hell, looked like I was running 1024x768....also noticed my screen flickers sometimes. I wen't back to Omega 44.03s (Performance) and it looks much better again.

Comment

Working...
                              X