No announcement yet.

Help? System Still Reboots on it's own!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help? System Still Reboots on it's own!

Ok, so maybe you've read my earlier posts on this same problem. Recently I've been having HDD trouble, which I know should go in the other Thread, but i"m only touching on it for a minute. I ran the WD diagnostic program and came up with no errors, and it seems to be running ok now. But I recently reformatted the whole HDD and did a clean install of everything. but I'm still getting the reboots when I try to download games and movies from Bit Torrent (if anyone of you out there know what it is). So I think it might by my RAM, currently 2 sticks of 256mb PC2700 333Mhz. So should I just scrap them and buy like a new 512mb Chip? Maybe get 400Mhz which my mobo (Albatron KX400-8X) supports with a quick bios tweak. I'd like to test the RAM, but I lost the program, if anyone could link me up with that, it would be much appreciated. Thanks again. Tweaktown Rules!

Originally posted by Dallows
    Ok, so maybe you've read my earlier posts on this same problem. Recently I've been having HDD trouble, which I know should go in the other Thread, but i"m only touching on it for a minute. I ran the WD diagnostic program and came up with no errors, and it seems to be running ok now. But I recently reformatted the whole HDD and did a clean install of everything. but I'm still getting the reboots when I try to download games and movies from Bit Torrent (if anyone of you out there know what it is). So I think it might by my RAM, currently 2 sticks of 256mb PC2700 333Mhz. So should I just scrap them and buy like a new 512mb Chip? Maybe get 400Mhz which my mobo (Albatron KX400-8X) supports with a quick bios tweak. I'd like to test the RAM, but I lost the program, if anyone could link me up with that, it would be much appreciated. Thanks again. Tweaktown Rules!

Just try using 1 RAM module at a time to test them in your system. Chances are just 1 stick is unstable if thats your problem.

Comment

You mean leaving one stick and running the system, seeing if it will reboot again? Couldn't I just get a memtest program and check both that way? Problem is I forgot the exact name of the memtest program. Does it sound like a memory problem though? I do get an error at the blue screen and it says something like "DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_THAN_EQUAL." But all of my drivers for the hardware are in order and working properly, there are no system conflicts or anything like that.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dallows
        [B]You mean leaving one stick and running the system, seeing if it will reboot again?

Yes, and then if that one module you left in does the same thing, take it out and try the other module.

I don't know if the problem is your RAM or not from your breif discription of your problem but it very well could be if your system restarts occasionally and most of all if it does it while using 3D software (Video Games). Theres alot of other things it could be like an underpowered power suppy,CMOS setting, or heat, ect. but unstable RAM is a very likely canidate for undesired restarts.

You can find alot of free trail programs at www.download.com and maybe even your memtest program your talking about but if I were you I'd do as I said becuase I'm not sure how well such programs work and doing it manually is a sure way to tell if its the problem. Its also possible both modules are bad but unlikely.

Judging from your error message it sounds like its driver related or an IRQ setting might be shared with other hardware but thats only a guess.

Comment

There are no IRQ conflicts that I am aware of, I've checked for them often and found nothing so far. I'm running the memtest program right now on that computer, but it takes awhile apparently. Also, my computer never ever reboots when I'm playing games or running any other programs. Only when using Bit Torrent, like I said before, but I don't know if you're aware of what it is. Basically a p2p file sharing dl program. I know people that use it and no one has the same problem as me. Which leads me to believe it is my memory. I will keep trying different things, including what you said to do. Thanks again. One other thing, if I run the memtest program and it comes up with no errors, but I test the ram by taking one out and testing it by itself, yet it still reboots, do you think it could be both sticks of ram or something else? Thanks again.

Comment

There are no IRQ conflicts that I am aware of, I've checked for them often and found nothing so far. I'm running the memtest program right now on that computer, but it takes awhile apparently. Also, my computer never ever reboots when I'm playing games or running any other programs. Only when using Bit Torrent, like I said before, but I don't know if you're aware of what it is. Basically a p2p file sharing dl program. I know people that use it and no one has the same problem as me. Which leads me to believe it is my memory. I will keep trying different things, including what you said to do. Thanks again. One other thing, if I run the memtest program and it comes up with no errors, but I test the ram by taking one out and testing it by itself, yet it still reboots, do you think it could be both sticks of ram or something else? Thanks again.

In the past I've had certain brands of RAM that were unstable on one Mainboard but worked fine on another, but chances are if both do the same thing seperatly it's probably something else, infact since its only doing it while using that p2p software (which I didn't know before) it probably has something to do with the software. Do you have an Ativirus program installed that could be cuasing some kind of conflict with that program?

Comment

I have norton antivirus 2003 installed along with the systemworks and internet security. Would there be a way to tell if the two software programs were conflicting?

Comment

I have norton antivirus 2003 installed along with the systemworks and internet security. Would there be a way to tell if the two software programs were conflicting?

Uninstall them and see what happens, you can always reinstall if that doesn't do the trick. It's an easy way to start troubleshooting or maybe you should just use Kazaa instead and scrap that P2P program you are using right now...:hammer: since that is the only program giving you trouble.

Comment

Yeah, but the program is really really good, and Kazaa doesn't have the stuff bit torrent offers.

Comment

just use Kazaa instead and scrap that P2P program you are using right now
                    Someone actually suggested that Kazaa be installed as an alternative P2P program???? Do your homework and leave Kazaa alone!! That program has more garbage with it than any other program than I have ever heard of. If you want spyware, adware, and malware installed in your system and would like to see your computing power and bandwidth greatly reduced then go for it dude.

If you must use a version of Kazaa then at least settle for Kazaalite http://www.kazaalite.tk/ ..... no spyware or added garbage. Of course that won't stop you from downloading false files, trojans, or virii but at least you won't be intentionally filling your harddrive with nasty stuff.

Dallows, just a guess, but if the only time you have problems with your system is when you use Bit Torrent then your problem is prolly related to the program itself. A conflict with something else on your system? Have you tried different versions of Bit Torrent? The newest version of Shareaza http://www.zeropaid.com/shareaza/ has no added nasties and claims to be able to handle Bit Torrent downloads but I have yet to get the thing to work properly for them ... might be an option....
                    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Ok, it's not the anti-virus program, because I uninstalled and ran the dl program again, and the same thing happend. It just rebooted at a random point. So it's gotta be the ram right? I will still go ahead and try to check each stick by itself, but I think I will just go out and buy some new 400mhz sticks.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PrairieDawg
                        [B]Someone actually suggested that Kazaa be installed as an alternative P2P program????Do your homework and leave Kazaa alone!! That program has more garbage with it than any other program than I have ever heard of. If you want spyware, adware, and malware installed in your system and would like to see your computing power and bandwidth greatly reduced then go for it dude.
                        [url]

I thought everyone already knew how to get rid of those nasties by now.:shoot3:

Comment

OK, I just had Memtest 86 v3.0 running for about 8 hours and it found no errors. Yet I still get the reboot. What gives?

Comment

I'd hate to suggest that ya 300W PSU is at fault here (420W is the minium I use know) but have ya checked the Event Viewer for any red flags either in the System or Software? :?:

Comment

Right, that 300w psu is the one that came with the case. It's an Enermax case, that probably doesn't matter right, it's still most likey crap. I don't think I can afford something as big as a 420w right now, but what about like a 350w antec? And I'm still running memory tests and getting nothing so far, no errors. Which I think is odd because my system for the specs and I don't have much running on it right now, nor do I do major multitasking, seems to run a big slow with some unnecessary lag here and there. I'm running WinXP (don't know if that's in the sig or not), could that be part of the problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X