overclocking issues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclocking issues!

ok, so ive been working on overclocking my system over the past few days but for some reason i cant increase my FSB over 140mhz without it becoming unstable?!? This is only a 7mhz oc, i would hope that i would be able to get way higher than that. By the way, im only working on the FSB right now, no multiplier changes. My system specs are as follows:

-AMD XP 2000+ @ 140x12.5
    -Epox EP-8KHA+ mobo
    -512mb Samsung PC2100
    -Hercules Radeon 9800Pro
    -Volcano 6 HSF

What am i doing wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong i don't think but your ram is holding you back. If you want to overclock you need better ram. But try lowering the multi and bump up the fsb. You can ask soulburner about this because i think he is very good in this section. :cheers:
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
      You are not doing anything wrong i don't think but your ram is holding you back. If you want to overclock you need better ram. But try lowering the multi and bump up the fsb. You can ask soulburner about this because i think he is very good in this section. :cheers:
      I would first find your AGP/PCI Frequency setting and put it at 66/33. This is because FSB overclocks it so it must be locked.

Next, lower your multiplier to 10. Then you can start raising FSB, however with 133mhz memory you will be limited in how far you can go. As soon as you hit your FSB limit, raise your multiplier up 1 setting at a time until you find the limit.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
        necromanx13x[/size]]
        ok, so ive been working on overclocking my system over the past few days but for some reason i cant increase my FSB over 140mhz without it becoming unstable?!? This is only a 7mhz oc, i would hope that i would be able to get way higher than that. By the way, im only working on the FSB right now, no multiplier changes. My system specs are as follows:

-AMD XP 2000+ @ 140x12.5
        -Epox EP-8KHA+ mobo
        -512mb Samsung PC2100
        -Hercules Radeon 9800Pro
        -Volcano 6 HSF

What am i doing wrong?
        First off ya memory is only rated at 133MHz (266DDR) performance so either lower ya timings if ya can or get faster rated memory (PC2700).
        Secondly the Volcano 6 doesn't perform much better than the retail item so an upgrade here would also help.

Comment

alright thanks a lot but i cant find any place in the bios to set AGP/PCI frequencies? Also, for the time being, my multiplier is locked but im getting a 2200+ this weekend so it isnt a problem.

Comment

i completely agree with the faster memory but he should be able to get higher than 140 with that memory, mines running at 155 and i got quite a bit of room to bump it up. and that memory at stock voltage too. just the v-core bumped up to 1.8v

edit: mine is also pc2100 by the way

Comment

I had a 2100+ Palomino core CPU that wouldnt run stable over 133FSB, even at 1.9V the thing would BSOD at 136, and that was with PC3200, that allowed me to O/C a 1700+ to a 200FSb on the same mobo/RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                necromanx13x[/size]]
                alright thanks a lot but i cant find any place in the bios to set AGP/PCI frequencies? Also, for the time being, my multiplier is locked but im getting a 2200+ this weekend so it isnt a problem.
                Ya mobo is an old VIA KT266A chipset based job and will not have those settings as the bus between the northbridge and southbridge is still the PCI bus and not one of the later dedicated buses used in later mobo's so all FSB overclockin' moves the AGP/PCI frequency inline with the FSB and the dividers selected. This overclockin' guide should be of good use to ya.

Comment

alright, thanks a lot. just one more question, what is the easiest way to connect the last L3 bridge since there is a gap between it?
                  by the way, I now have a 2200+ with a FSB at 150 but the multiplier is still locked.

Comment

well since the pencil trick dont work anymore your best bet would be a silver pen of some sort, never used one so i cant help ya much there. or you can do what i did and get a nforce2 board and it unlocks it for ya.

Comment

You will need an AMD unlocking kit. Most online comp. specialty stores have it now.
                      You put superglue in the lazer holes. Making sure not to get any on the contacts. Let it dry, then connect the contacts with conductive silver grease and its unlocked.
                      I noticed one place was selling a tape with silver contacts that you just lay right over the spot. Looked pretty trick. Don't remember the site though.
                      The kit should come with the Glue, Silver grease, cleaner, needle, and a magnifinder.

OR

An nForce 2 motherboard will automatically unlock it.

Chez

Here's the trace tape. Its 24.99 though. About twice as much as you can get a silver grease unlocking kit. This doesn't void the warrantee as far as I can tell, and looks a little more on the permanent(won't wipe off on accident).
                      The best deals on computers, computer parts, desktops, laptops, electronics, tablets, software, gaming, hard drives, CPUs, motherboards, cables, and much more. With fast shipping and great customer service from Houston, Texas!

Comment

Working...
                      X