WTF is going on with this modem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF is going on with this modem?

I had a some1 bring me machine with a busted modem. No problem, I thought. I go and get another one put it in and be all set.
    But they get it home, and cannot connect to any of their ISP numbers. Got it to my house, connects fine. all the settings seem to be right. So I give it back and they still cannont connect.
    The error is 676? Line is Busy.
    I even tried to call my cell, which works fine from my house, but not so from theirs.
    Tried different cables, tried different jacks in the house. Tried reinstalling modem. NE ideas???

Sounds like a telephone company issue. They need to come out and check out the line.
    Especially if you can't call your cell phone from their house.
    Can they dial out to regular #'s?

Either way, if it works at your house, can't call your cell from theirs, and you can't connect from theirs, the phone company needs to be called and they can run some tests and let you know whats up.

Most likely, from my experience as a tech and dealing with stuff like this all the time, it is within the box outside the house, and somebody messed with the wires, or forgot to connect them all back, came loose, ect. The phone only uses two wires. Although there are 4. Data and voice.

I would have them call the phone company and let them know about the cell phone issue and if there is any other problems with dialing out, and then the problem of not being able to connect and they should be able to dispatch someone out to check out the outside box and run a line test from there.

Good luck,
    Chez

Comment

though u have a DSL tech helping you but i would like to share my experience.
      i get this error when either the extension to the telephone line is "off the hook" or the telephone instrument connected to the modem is "off the hook".
      "Line is Busy" simply means that the line to which modem is connected, is being used.
      correct me if i m wrong :shrug:
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

OMFG.
        I tried something that in my mind shouldnt work, but did.
        I unchecked the :wait for dialtone before dialing: box. WTF? It said it was dialing and NOT that there was no dialtone!
        This is freaky!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
          OMFG.
          I unchecked the :wait for dialtone before dialing: box. WTF? It said it was dialing and NOT that there was no dialtone!
          This is freaky!!!
          ah that is what my fax software does :laugh:
          Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
          Last Updated:
          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
          ======================
          jabber : [email protected]
          =======================
          Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
          yabaa dabaa doo...
          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
            OMFG.
            This is freaky!!!
            Not really. I've seen plenty of people here in Australia that use various voicemail / message bank systems supplied by their telephone company that slightly alters the pitch of the dialtone, so you know you've got a message waiting. When the computer tries to identify a dialtone, it's just different enough to make the computer think it doesn't exist. Unchecking the box is the way to do it.

Comment

they dont use voicemail, but it works now !

Comment

Strange, never heard of that. Glad to hear it works.

I have heard most of the outrageous things though being a tech.
                Especially with people swearing they couldn't get online, unless they were using the phone at the same time, or VS. Versa.
                Just all kinds of crazy stuff. Some of it never explained to us by either the phone company or the next level in our Tech labs.

We would just say, FIIW...... f it, it works........

Chez

BTW if you ever move. Plug in your DSL modem, if it works, its free. If the person before you had it, there is a VERY good chance it will.

Another funny thing, you would be surprised how many MAJOR corporations or businesss use ABC123 or ABCDEF as their passwords for either logon, Email, or both!!!
                I guess its why we have wardriving as well!

Comment

Working...
                X