Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p3 vs p4 . who is faster

i could be wrong , but:

i heard someone benchmarked the P3 vs P4 and found that the P4 is not any faster than the P3.

whats the diff. in chips anyways.

please let me know.

thanks

j

the P4 had some performance issues in the beginning, but that was some time ago. Any fairly recent P4 is going to smoke a P3.

Comment

yessir!

The P3 is a far more efficient CPU, however a P4 has the brute force to outdo it.
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

What I had read was that a p3 of equivalent mhz was faster than the p4.

Comment

How many mhz? If its 2.0ghz vs 2.0ghz that can't be, because p4 has higher cache and L2. Do you have proof of these findings?
          CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
          Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
          RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
          GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
          PSU: Thermaltake 500w
          SC: Audigy 2 zs
          LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
          Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
          Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

The first P4 ,the willamette was really bad, but the northwood core helped to make things faster!

Comment

There is more than just Mhz, and Cache to a CPU.

There is also something called an instruction set which plays a MAJOR role in how a cpu works....

Chez

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
                How many mhz? If its 2.0ghz vs 2.0ghz that can't be, because p4 has higher cache and L2. Do you have proof of these findings?
                well there was no p3 2.0. it would be in comparing a p3 1.4 for example. Some p3's also came with 512k l2 I think.

Comment

all last p3 sold were mostly p3s (s for server) variations with all of them had fsb133 with 512k cache and this cache was FAST

I think if mhz are equal, any p3 would smoke a p4, except the last ones with 512k cache and fsb800

but then if you give fsb800 to a p3, well would be funny to compare

just look at the centrino I'm writing with, a pentium M 1.5 ghz, with mostly p3 design with p4 instructions and fsb400, I can crush every p4 upto 2.4 ghz where I get equal scores.

so imagine a 3.2 ghz centrino... lol, yeah I know I got 1 mb L2 cache but well...

the next p4 will have 1 mb as well, would be nice to compare the two...

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
                    the P4 had some performance issues in the beginning, but that was some time ago. Any fairly recent P4 is going to smoke a P3.
                    Yep. I HIGHLY doubt ANY P3 would keep up with any of the newer "c" revision P4s.

Comment

Re: p3 vs p4 . who is faster

4 years ago when this thread was posted to last your information would not have made any sense whatsoever because 3.4 cpus probably didn't exist. These days socket 478 is basically dead.
                      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

PrairieDawg, how in the hell did you understand ANYTHING that guy wrote? That has got to be the biggest illegible pile of drivel I have had the displeasure to read in a LONG LONG time.

Besides, you could have a 4 CPU P4 motherboard and my single E6600 would stomp it into the ground. P4's were a joke and will always be the mistake that Intel made that gave AMD the spotlight for almost 2 years. Some people should have to have a breathylizer attached to their keyboard to prevent late night drunken posting.......
                        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                        PC P&C 500W PSU
                        2TB Seagate
                        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by miles dyson
                          intels p3 is just an amd barton core with larger cache better transfer rate
                          + more pins?
                          OMG, that is the funniest thing I read all day!

whos faster
                          2.4ghz celeron 400fsb 128k
                          1.6ghz p4 400fsb 256k
                          Who cares?

casecutter i cut u up? with my dick
                          I love it when you talk dirty to me.
                          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                          PC P&C 500W PSU
                          2TB Seagate

Comment

To Miles Dyson
                            Sir, that's quite enough...

This thread is pointless. Casecutter is right and you really don't need to argue it. Why would you go through all this work on old technology when you could have bought something a little more modern and have it beat by a huge margin?

I'm trying to understand your original post, but I can't get anywhere. Where would you find a dual P4 board and a 9200rpm hd? Try putting some periods in your sentence structure.

Comment

1. If you want to be even remotely taken seriously, stop the "AOL speak" and use English. Your posts are garbled nonsense.

2. All your facts are so wrong that you could not possibly believe what you post is right. The E6600 has NOTHING in common with a socket 478 ANYTHING.

3. Try quoting a hard drive speed that actually exists.

So far, you have proven that you are a forum troll and not someone with even the most remote knowledge of a PC. And you could daisy chain 20 Intel socket 478 CPU's together and they still could not compare to one E6600. Socket 478 was mercifully put to death because Netburst was wrong and did not accomplish anything Intel wanted.

If you are going to try and act like you know anything, then prove you do by not only using correct specification, but also with some grammar so that your posts can be read. This isn't your text phone, you don't get charged by the letter or space. Feel free to use ALL the letters and punctuation.
                              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                              PC P&C 500W PSU
                              2TB Seagate

Comment

Working...
                              X