adding heat sinks to gfx cards.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding heat sinks to gfx cards.

how do people go about mounting heat sinks on graphics cards?

Thermal epoxy usually.

Chez

Comment

exactly how though? i assume you don't just slap it on the pcb.

Comment

You need to drill holes to screw it on. Theres an article somewhere but I can't remember.

BTW, I am in Lincoln.....about 45 mins away :cheers:.

Comment

oh great nebraska people, reminds me of my childood in Grand Island NE wow what crappy place to grow up

Comment

LOL poor Nebraska...

If you are putting on RAM heatsinks, you use thermal epoxy. There is no where to use a drill or holes.
            If you are going to put a GPU cooler on it, you fasten it through the same position as the stock one.
            DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN YOUR GRAFFICS CARD. OR any other PCB as well.
            Not a good idea unless you don't like that piece of electronics equiptment anymore. LOL

Chez

Comment

Just for Chez....

Heatsink Mod

:thumb:

So far I have taken this PowerColor 9700np from a stock of 275mhz to 410mhz without any artifacts or voltage mods.

Comment

Originally posted by drenader
                oh great nebraska people, reminds me of my childood in Grand Island NE wow what crappy place to grow up
                LOL......i've never been to Grand Island. Lincoln though, I like.....good city.

Comment

millard - t3h rockz0rz

Comment

If you'd look a little closer at that HS mod, there were no holes drilled in the PCB....just in a $20 HS. They did however pry off the shim, and in their words it was risky, and would definitely void the warranty at best, or ruin the card at worst.
                    IMHO, I admire the craftsmanship and egnenuity shown in that mod, but I wonder at whether or not the money and time spent wouldn't better be applied to selling the old unmodified card, and buying a better card. I suppose if you had a proper HS/F as surplus, a lot of time on your hands, and were willing to risk trashing your GPU for a modicum of performance....go for it. I do know as a fact that buying a better GPU WILL give you the performance you're seeking, guaranteed.
                    If you're stuck on modding your existing card, my approach would be frag tape, or a very thin layer of thermal epoxy, as it would leave you the option of returning everything back to stock with no holes in it or parts ripped off.
                    :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                    X