Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanting to OC a bit...but need some advice first.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to OC a bit...but need some advice first.

OK so i want to try and OC my videocard and my processor but first i have a couple questions for all you OC'in experts out there.

I'll start with my setup:

Athlon XP2600+ "thoroughbred"
    Soyo KT400 DRAGON Ultra platinum edition
    512mb Kingston HyperX DDR PC3200
    Radeon 9700pro
    WD 120gb 7200rpm HDD 8mb cache
    Antec PlusView 1000AMG
    Antec TruePower 430-watt PSU

currently my system temp ranges from 45-49 degrees celsius under load.

now for my question:

1. Has anyone on the board ever OC'ed an XP2600 and if so what speeds were you able to reach? (im not to sure if the 2600 is as OC'able as the 2500)

2. What program would you reccomend to best OC my radeon and are 9700pro's even OC'able lol.

thanks in advance for any help. :lips:

I have a ASUS A7V8X w/2600 xp and I have overclocked it to 2.4g.

CPU runs at about 50c.

No problems yet... I game all the time...

Comment

Yeah 9700 pro's are overclockable. Here's one that I've used (all though not for a 9700 pro). There's others out there of course.

Comment

Yeah I overclocked my 9700Pro a little just for fun one day. I couldn't get much out of it with the stock cooling and the performance increase was not worth the risk IMO. I can't recall what timings I managed to reach.

Sorry not much help really but keep in mind your CPU costs a hell of a lot less to replace than a 9700Pro!!

Comment

You will be able to overclock but will be limited by your VIA chipset.

The board has pre-set dividers for the AGP/PCI bus to keep them in spec. I would try going to 166 FSB, upping the voltage until you can get it to boot (if it doesn't). It should be perfectly capable as you have 3200 RAM, which means at the 3:4 ratio setting (which is what it is probably at right now) it will put your RAM at its normal speed of 200mhz (DDR400).

If you can't get it to boot at 166 drop it down a bit and try again.

Comment

well, at 48-49 unter load, that is kinda bad temp. what type of cpu cooling using? try to get to around 38-40 underload before Ocing.

for ur v card oCing, i dont see waz the point. i have a winfast fx5600 at 324mhz in GPU, and 525mhz in ram speed, and i OC it to 345mhz and 550 mhz, and i only saw a 2 -3 fps dieffernce running UT2003.

just keep trying and find get a stable OC>

Comment

48-49 under load is normal.

Mine is 33c idle and 53c full load @ 3ghz with an Aeroflow (one of the best) during Prime 95 torture testing. That may look like a very large increase, but I have a probe taped directly to the back of the CPU so its getting as hot as it can and showing the most accurate reading possible. BIOS temperature readings are NOT accurate. I am not worried about my temperatures. Run Prime 95 CPU torture testing for an hour or two and you'll find it gets hotter than you thought.

For comparison my BIOS says 26c and 38c at the above mentioned readings.

Comment

Thakns for all the help everyone. i searched around the net a bit n read a few articles on OCing 9700pro's and to be honest i wasnt really impressed with the performance increase. I guess ill just leave it alone....well atleast until i need an excuse to get a 9800 :flames:

and as far ass the cpu goes i got a little extra cash this month so im thinkin about just gettin a new mobo and a 3000+ or maybe even goin with a P4 :eek: lol well i guess once i order and recieve the new hardware ill have some fun OC'in the 2600 hehe.

thanks again to everyone who posted.

Comment

If you have a 9700...is it neccesary to get 9800?
                  CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                  Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                  RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                  GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                  PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                  SC: Audigy 2 zs
                  LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                  Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                  Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
                    If you have a 9700...is it neccesary to get 9800?
                    Yeah really, that's like buying a new car every six months.

Comment

Originally posted by beaner457
                      Thakns for all the help everyone. i searched around the net a bit n read a few articles on OCing 9700pro's and to be honest i wasnt really impressed with the performance increase. I guess ill just leave it alone....well atleast until i need an excuse to get a 9800 :flames:

and as far ass the cpu goes i got a little extra cash this month so im thinkin about just gettin a new mobo and a 3000+ or maybe even goin with a P4 :eek: lol well i guess once i order and recieve the new hardware ill have some fun OC'in the 2600 hehe.

thanks again to everyone who posted.
                      Since you said your gonna get a 9800...that must mean your rich since you already have a 9700...So since you know:rolleyes: your gonna upgrade and all. I was wondering if i can have that card;)

But anyway i agree with woody...car 6 months..dam..
                      CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                      Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                      RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                      GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                      PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                      SC: Audigy 2 zs
                      LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                      Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                      Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

wow...i was under the impression that the performance increase between a 9700 and a 9800 was HUGE. guess not. thanks for savin me some money.

and no im not rich. my grandfather just recently passed away and i inherited his landscaping business and just under $300,000. $5000 or which i donated to a couple diabetes research centers (my grandfather died after fighting diabetes for 10 years). sure i can prolly pay off a lot of bills with that money but i feel when you recieve money from something such as an accident or a death you should use the money on things that will make you happy and feel good. not to pay off bills and such.

thankyou again to all who posted....especially those that saved me bout $500.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
                          48-49 under load is normal.
                          Where do you get your ideas?? Thats on the high-end for AMD. I get 40C load on my Paly 2100+

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
                            Where do you get your ideas?? Thats on the high-end for AMD. I get 40C load on my Paly 2100+
                            That's great, but realize anything under 50c load is still well within acceptable limits.

The temperature of your CPU was not the question.

:rolleyes2

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
                              That's great, but realize anything under 50c load is still well within acceptable limits.

:rolleyes2
                              Yes, its aceptable, but not reallyif you going to Overclock.

Comment

Working...
                              X