Weird problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird problem

Things have been strange on my PC lately. First my RAID array disappeared. I checked the cables, and then it worked again. Went to boot up XP. The welcome screen lasted about a minute (usually flashes on and off) then swapped over to the background of Windows, as if it were loading. However, that was it. I heard the sound that Windows had started, but got no Taskbar / Start Menu. I could start a couple programs via Task Manager, but couldn't start things like explorer.

Decided to do a windows repair. That worked fine, but removed my SP1 install. So I reinstalled that. Restarted, now my USB devices don't work. Nothing USB-based picks up, but it seems OK in Device Manager. Tried reinstalling the USB2 drivers from my motherboard CD, but nothing changed... Probably a long shot, but has anyone got an idea?

ok, do you use a USB hub?
    have you tried the simple disconnecting all USB devices, rebooting, reinstall drivers, reboot, connect up devices one-by-one technique?
    have you started in safe mode and tried to delete anything that looks strange?

this site whilst basic is sometimes helpful

good luck - also wait until asklepios is online as he is a very helpful chappie when it comes to windows problems :thumb:

Comment

Beefy,

You seem to be pretty into your system and know the ins and outs. Although I know that is my personal downfall. I MISS THE EASY STUFF!
      Not saying you are. But when it comes to fukin' windows that is usually the problem in my experience.

When you said you went into the device manager and there weren't there weren't any problems. Did you happen to notice any duplicate entries, specifically under usb devices? That will cause havoc with the controllers. For what reason, I don't know.
      To double check, start in safe mode, then go through each entry and see if you can find any. That would include any other controllers.
      TO ME, it sounds like some **** became corrupted in windows that won't be fixed without a fresh install since you lost your raid array, they it came back and not you lost your USB controller. BOTH of these are controller by the south bridge.
      Its just a guess and a shot in the dark. Sounds like something strange happened, took some crap out, and now you have to TEACH it not to do that crap again, via a reinstall.

I hope you find the problem before the joyous reinstall. Although you can look at it as a good thing since it will be FRESH again.

Sorry I don't have any other better ideas at this moment.

I will give this some more thought though..........hmmmmmm

Chez

Comment

I have a feeling it could potentially be a mobo problem, but that would be a last resort. The first thing you could try I guess would be a total reinstall. Maybe try reinstalling SP1 and see what that does.

Comment

Since both the USB devices and the RAID array have acted up I'm thinking your motherboard drivers have been corrupted. Since I'm not sure what kind of mobo you have, reinstall the relevant driver. If it's VIA then the 4.49 4in1s are known to screw up WinXP installs for some reason, use 4.47s. If it's Intel reinstall the latest INF and then IntelAA drivers.
          My Machine

Comment

Thanks all.

Sunshine - I don't have a hub. I've got a couple devices plugged into the two ports at the back. Unplugging / replugging didn't acheive anything. There's no actual power going to the device from the port either (one is an optical mouse. No lights when I plug it in).

Chez - You could be right, I probably am overlooking something obvious. :) I'm at work at the moment, but when I get home I'll double check that there's no duplicates. Another idea I was thinking of was deleting all the USB devices from Device Manager and restarting and letting it pick them all up fresh. I'm really not wanting to do a reinstall at the moment, as I only did one 2 months ago when I put the PC together.

amd_man - I don't blame my mobo for a problem like this, it seems software related to me. I've already done the SP1 reinstall, which is when the USB cut out on me the first time, which is why I tend to believe it's software.

Persian - The RAID failure couldn't have been a driver problem, as it picked up the error when it was booting the controller and couldn't define the RAID. Seems like my SATA cables are a little loose. I've got a Soltek nForce2 board, so I downloaded the latest nForce2 drivers from the Soltek site and chucked them on, but that didn't help much either.

I'll do a quick check at lunch and see if any of this helps, otherwise I'd say it'll be a fresh install. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
              I've got a Soltek nForce2 board, so I downloaded the latest nForce2 drivers from the Soltek site and chucked them on, but that didn't help much either.
              I was going to suggest getting the latest nforce2/usb2 drivers since the ones on your mobo are bound to be outdated, but it appears that you have already tried that :shrug:

honestly, I think your best bet is going to be to format & install from the sounds of it :(

Comment

i can't be of much help either as you guys have suggested almost everything but did you try looking in system section of event viewer?
                you might get some useful information in there or it might be a time to re-install :(
                Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                ======================
                jabber : [email protected]
                =======================
                Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Tried everything I could, deleted all the USB related stuff in Device Manager (which all redetected).. restarted a few times.. Nothing. A couple days later a friend came over, plugged in his removable HDD via USB, and it worked. I just don't understand, but it works now. :)

Comment

:confused: weird... well, at least it's working now :)

Comment

it works cause i have teh magic touch

Comment

But you only use that on 12yo boys... :confused:

Comment

you think of yer computer as a 12 year old boy? thats pretty messed up...

Comment

Working...
                          X