Vcore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vcore?

Ok I'm going to try som oc tomorrow just for fun and was wondering If I should add a little more voltage when I turn up the fsb on my 2600+?

Or should I leave the voltage as it is unless instability occurs? If adding is necessery how mutch should I start with? What limits could be considered safe? And what fsb setting should I start out with?

Btw I just flashed the bios on this Epox 8RDA3 mobo, now I've got an bios version that's a whole month newer than the one shipped with the board.. :laugh: /Thx

By habit I always up the core and mem by 0.1v (or there abouts dependin' on the BIOS) b4 I turn the wick up just to be sure on stability but ya can wait till instability strikes. Sart off at 10 x 200MHz and then up the multiplier till ya find it's limit and then up the FSB.

Comment

I don't worry much about giving a cpu too much voltage as you will get unstable from heat long before you come close to frying a chip. Once you find out what temp your CPU can handle stably. then just back the voltage off a little.

what HS/Fan combo are you using?

I'm running 2.01V 24/7 but I do have very cold air cooling.:)

Comment

Originally posted by climbski
        you will get unstable from heat long before you come close to frying a chip.
        At least we hope right? :D :D

In any case, for air cooled overclocks you typically don't need much extra voltage on the latest Athlons. I overclocked my 2500+ and am still using the stock vcore settings. The only voltage increase I needed was on the RAM. But if you go to 1.8 you should be fine as long as you keep it coooooool!

A suggestion: try a little clocking on the FSB at 1.7 Volts and only go above that after you reach your limits to see if it gives you a little more headroom. Once you reach your limits back the voltage down a notch and see if you become unstable. Basically the lower the voltage you can run the lower the cooling needs will be.

Comment

Thx guys, I'm using an Volcano7+ to cool the cpu. Haven't had time to play with the settings just yet but I'll hoping on getting some time this evning.. :)

I have used Hot Cpu Tester to insure that the stock settings are 100% stable and that there isn't any probs with my new hardware. I've run it for 6 hours and recived a certificate, I intend to use the same app to test my soon to come oc settings. This is a great piece of software!

Comment

First person I have seen use the same program. I have been using that program forever it feels like. Although I have never seen or heard of other people using it!
            NIce to see there are other people that like it!

Chez:cheers:

Comment

Working...
            X