having probs with athlon xp 2500+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having probs with athlon xp 2500+

(see specs of my comp in my sig)well, i used 2 have an athlon xp 1800+ till i got my 2500+ and changed it......then the problems came....now the cpu seems 2 be runnin at 50+% load full time(even when am not runnin anyfin or just booted the comp)and the vcore is at v1.6 don't know why.....as i never changed anything of that sort, and i don't seem 2 be able 2 flash my bios again(bios protection, never activated it). i don't see any processes that could be taking up the cpu nor i have any viruses or trojans as i've scanned my computer....also, my win xp has sp1a but it just doesn't seem 2 recognize more than 127gbs(my hdd has 160) i got the atapi.sys updated 2 lastest but it just doesn't, and its win xp pro retail. i don't surely think its my processor, i think its my motherboard, but i didn't know where else 2 put this.(yall should think of a general help area, for ppl with lots of probs)and all that is slowing down my games and overall performance. i didn't format my hdd after i changed the processor cause i though it didn't matter much, will that solve the problem?(formatting)

Well my first reaction was to say, "take it all apart and put it back together again!" :D but then I saw that you didn't reformat your hard drive!! Are you attempting to use the hard drive from a previous system or prior to a motherboard change? I would strongly recommend reformatting the hard drive and setting up a clean install of WinXP to clear out all the cobwebs that will surely mess you up!

I'm not a big fan of Windows so don't get me started but the longer you run it the more messed up it gets and periodic reinstallations are needed. There seems to be no easy way of maintaining Windows in a pristine state. It is pretty much a necessity to perform a clean install after a major system upgrade. Reformatting the hard drive is always a good idea when you do a clean install.

A recommendation: Make a small, say 20-30 GB partition on your main drive for the installation of Windows and then install all your big apps on the remaining partition. Next time you need to reinstall Windows you will only need to reformat the smaller partition and the larger partion can be used to back up any important files. Or you could use a second physical drive for even better performance.

Comment

Sorry, I just noticed the motherboard you are using can't support the 2500!!! :eek: :eek:

check out giga's FAQ for this mobo here

You need a new motherboard!!!!!

The reason is your mobo only supports CPU FSB speeds up to 266MHz (133MHz x2) and the Barton runs at 333MHz (166MHz x2) so the problem will be the CPU running at a slower speed with a slower FSB.

I strongly recommend you pick up a good NForce2 mobo. That's all you need. With that PC3200 RAM you will get great overclocking potential with that CPU and probably be able to run it all the way up to 400MHz FSB (actually 200MHz x2).

One more thing, if you have only a single 512MB PC3200 module you will not get as good performance on a NForce2 mobo that you would if you had two matched pairs of PC3200 RAM so you may want to consider getting an extra RAM stick later also.

After you finish setting up your new system refer to my previous post! ;)

Comment

You MIGHT get lucky with a newer bios revision. But it dosn't say so on their site.

Comment

newer bios makes it support barton cores, the board itself supports 333mhz as its KT400 chipset. and yes i would love 2 get me that asus a7n8x deluxe so i can overclock my processor. but oh well, for now i gotta stick to this board and have 2 format my hdd.

Comment

Well if you can't set the FSB speed to the rated setting of 166MHz you won't fix it by reformatting the hard drive. You may fix the other problems though. A CPU will run fine below it's rated speed but it's like buying a new sports car and finding out the transmission won't go above 2nd gear.

Comment

Have you checked the board for a jumper that would change the FSB.
              The ASUS boards have a jumper you need to change to get the different FSB.

Chez

Comment

the fsb has been set at 333mhz or the numbers in my sig wouldn't say 1.85ghz

Comment

the fsb has been set at 333mhz or the numbers in my sig wouldn't say 1.85ghz
                  Ok well then I'm not sure what your problem is. Sounds like everything is working fine. If you are having slowdowns anyway and all your hardware is in order it is probably your software.

Comment

I am familiar with this motherboard.
                    IT sounds to me like you need to go to their website and flash the BIOS. They have a feature called, LIVE update, and you can download it on screen in windows.
                    Just don,t do it online.
                    I have sucessfully fixed a problem similiar to that one before.
                    It should work without you having to spend any more money.
                    Follow the instructions carefully, and you will be fine.

Comment

another thing, the vcore of the 2500+ is supposed 2 be 1.65V right? cause i do not know why mine is runnin at 1.69-1.70V without me having changed it........any of you know why?(could it be the cpu) i tested the cpu with 2 boards(asus a7n8x and gigabyte vaxp) and both were reading 1.69-1.70 on BIOS, i tried both boards with another cpu and it was lower.

Comment

Some boards overvolt.

Comment

Originally posted by ChewwyBacka
                          I am familiar with this motherboard.
                          IT sounds to me like you need to go to their website and flash the BIOS. They have a feature called, LIVE update, and you can download it on screen in windows.
                          Just don,t do it online.
                          I have sucessfully fixed a problem similiar to that one before.
                          It should work without you having to spend any more money.
                          Follow the instructions carefully, and you will be fine.
                          I beleive i have the same issue. I have the Amd Athlon XP 2600 2.08GHZ. After running Belarc Advisor programme - it reports it running at 1.25GHZ & the BUS clock at 100mhz only ?

So if i flash the BIOS will this fix the problem & if so where do i find the programme to flash it, i have searched for American Megatrends Inc - but cannot find any links..

Appreciate any help

BB

Comment

Ya'll find the BIOS updates from the manufacturer's website of the motherboard.

Comment

Working...
                            X