Jedi Academy - Performance tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jedi Academy - Performance tips

Just bought Jedi Academy and I'm getting into it in a big way...lots of fun! For those of wanting to try before you buy, a great playable demo with two full levels and all the sabre styles can be downloaded here or from places like Fileplanet or Fileshack.

Below are some tips to make sure you get the best performance out of JA, as there are a few issues with this game. Firstly, read the official JA FAQ on performance here for some basic tips from Lucasarts.

Go to the file jaconfig.cfg (typically in the C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\Base directory) and edit it using Wordpad.

Add the following lines at the bottom of the jaconfig.cfg file:

seta r_displayRefresh "70"

That way you're not stuck at 60Hz. Edit the number 70 above to whatever your monitor's maximum refresh rate is at your chosen resolution.

seta com_hunkmegs "512"

Assigns more RAM for the game to use. I've chosen 512MB because I have 1GB of RAM, so for those with say 512MB of system RAM set the above to 256MB.

There are other settings you can edit in the jaconfig.cfg, but those are best adjusted using the in-game settins screens.

General Performance Boosts

I found the biggest hit in my framerate came from enabling the Dynamic Glow option under More Video Options. I personally can't see the image quality difference between Dynamic Glow on and off (this is different to the Dynamic Lights setting), but with Dynamic Glow on my fps was 20fps average, and with it off it is 60fps average!

The other setting which can really drain your performance is the Volumetric Shadows. Set to Simple Shadows for a hufe fps boost, or even turn it off altogether.

Obviously you can turn down/turn off other settings like Dynamic Lights etc for a further fps boost, but the two settings mentioned above give massive performance hits for very little if any image quality difference.

EAX Performance Boost

If you're using EAX you can get an audio quality and performance boost if you have the file OpenAL32.dll in your C:\Windows\System32 directory (usually an Audigy/Audigy2 or the like will have it). If you do, rename the file OpenAL32.dll in the C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData directory to something else (e.g. OpenAL32.Real_dll)...this forces JA to use your sound card's OpenAL driver.

That's pretty much it for JA. If you experience crashes or lockups then lower your settings as JA is fairly system intensive. Even though it runs on a highly modified Quake3 engine, it still has a lot of whizz-bang features and high polygon counts and detailed textures, so it puts a real strain on your system.

Seems like a fun game and looks fantastic, I'm really enjoying this game :)
    My Machine

Hmm I'll have to e-mail myself this link. I bought it today whilst I was on my Lunch break. I want to got home now and play it.

Comment

I've been playing a lot of it in the last couple of days and it just gets better and better. I like it much more than Jedi Outcast, but then again I never really liked the Kyle Katarn storyline very much in the first place.

This game lets you visit lots of different worlds and complete very different missions dealing with a range of characters. Lots and lots of fun and it has that genuine Star Wars feel to it.

Not to mention that it has fantastic graphics...two thumbs up :)
      My Machine

Comment

Thanks, PersianImmortal!

Another funky tweak (not performance-enhancing, but cool) is to open up the jaconfig.cfg file and bind 'T' (assuming it's not already bound to something you want to use) to 'taunt', like so:

bind T "taunt"

Press the button in the game and taunt your enemies! (The saber staff's taunt is especially cool).

On the note of Jedi Academy, look out for a review of it very shortly at TT Gamer!

Comment

Since JA is based on the Quake3 engine, all you Quakers out there will know a lot of .cfg file tweaks and tips and most of them should work for JA. Same with all the Jedi Outcast and Wolfenstein type tweaking, so backup the config files first and start changing them at your pleasure.

I'm personally amazed at what the Quake3 engine is capable of 4 years after it was introduced. Running at high res max settings the graphics verge on cinematic, especially the stormtroppers and the way the light of the saber plays off their armour (while slicing through it :D ).

Look forward to the TTGamer review!
          My Machine

Comment

Well, it's up now!

If you've got any questions or comments, please, email me!

~Gavin

Comment

Working...
            X