Attn: Your Hard Drive Is About to Blow Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn: Your Hard Drive Is About to Blow Up

Ok, here's the problem. When I start my comp, I go through BIOS set up, then my Controller Card recognizes my Maxtor and I hit F1 to continue. Well, the last couple of boot ups, after that screen, and before the blue XP screen, the screen will go blank 30 sec, then eventually the XP log in screen would come up.

Well, today I started up my comp and at the Maxtor recognition screen, I get a message (after the detecting thing) that says something like "Dell Disk (something) has recognized you hard drive exceeding is operation specifications. Plz back up all vital data and get a new hard drive." Then Windows wouldnt boot and I get a BSOD. MY ASS, its 4 months old and I never abuse it. Hell, I just installed a fan right under it, so it shouldnt over heat. Anyways, I opened the case, checked all the connections, etc. Fired it back up again, same thing, so I said "run windows with my last working settings." Here I am. The drive is recognized and everything, and I backed up my important data on to my C Drive (my main/storage/OS HDD) just in case.

So, what the heck is going on here? If something is wrong, how can I fix it? And if you need more info, I'll try to find it. Thx! : peace2: Mista K6

Go to Maxtors site and download and use the diagnostic utilities

Comment

k thx! On a side note, what's the difference between the WD BB's and the WD EB's? I have a BB, but all I find online are EB's... thx!

Comment

Originally posted by Mista K6
        k thx! On a side note, what's the difference between the WD BB's and the WD EB's? I have a BB, but all I find online are EB's... thx!
        The BB has a 2mb Cache IE: 1200BB =120GB with 2mb cache. Never heard of EB, though JB exists with an 8mb cache IE:1200JB=120GB with 8mb cache

Comment

lol, whoops, that's what I meant :D

Comment

AB = 5400RPM, 2meg cache, Pata, 1 year warranty
            BB = 7200RPM, 2 meg cache, Pata, 1 year warranty
            EB = 5400RPM, 2 meg cache, Pata, 1 year warranty, slower seek time than AB
            JB = 7200RPM, 8 Meg cache, Pata, 3 year warranty
            JD = 7200RPM, 8 Meg cache, Sata, 3 Year Warranty
            GD = 10k RPM, 8 Meg cache, Sata, 5 year warranty

Comment

w00t, I have a 7200 RPM; all this time I thought it was a 5400RPM. Anywho, the HDD is about to blow again... Everytime, either at the detection I get that Dell disk etc says your drive is operating out of specifications etc, or in that 30 sec for the blue screen to come up, a BSOD comes up and says ERROR "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON, THIS DRIVE WORKED FOR 5 MONTHS W/O A SINGLE PROBLEM! THe only additions I've made within the last couple of months A) I added two fans a bit ago (not enough power for the HDD?) B) I took everything out of the case when I did it. I'm going to run the Maxtor diagnostics disk, but I have a major report due tomorrow, so like hell I'm every going to shut this down :scream: . Thx for all the help so far, any other advice? THx again, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Harddrives go bad, nothing you can do about it. Make sure to save your report on a floppy if u really wanna keep it.

Comment

Well, there's at least a one year warranty on it, so w/e, I'll send it back if those diagnostics dont fix it. At least I only keep my games on there, if my C: went, I'd :cry: with all the school files I have on there :( . Thx for the reply, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

ok, I ran Power Max, it said I need to do an advanced full drive scan. I started one, but it takes way longer than 20 min, so I'll do it when I have time. My comp is booting fine now, just it takes about 2 min to go from the Windows load screen to the blue sgn in screen. Ah well, I'm not gonna complain as long as it works. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

:scream: :shoot2: :grr: :scream: Ahem, you get the point. It WAS my C: (the WD) that went. Summing up the events since Thurs. night when it refused to boot into windows:

I couldn't get it started, so I went down to the local PC shop on Friday to get some info/help. Waste of my time, I knew more than they did. I then went over to CompUSA and bought a 60GB CompUSA HDD (a Maxtor Diamond Plus HDD in a CompUSA box). It is identical to my other Maxtor, except it only had a 2MB, but for for $50, that's not bad at all; it's actually better than online prices :thumb: . Anywho, I brought that home, and installed XP Saturday morning. I then came to the realization that Dell put alot of useless crap on my old WD, what a waste of space and performance. Anywho, after changing the rails and drive configurations at least 10 times, I managed to copy all the needed data (first manually, then using Max Blast 3, which worked really well) to the new drive by connecting the New drive as a master and the WD as a slave directly to the system board. I then went and got my modem running, and then started installing drivers, Windows updates (SP1, etc.), programs, etc etc. Right now, I have the new drive running off as a master, and the old Maxtor as a slave, both connected to the IDE1 slot in the Controller card, both running at ATA/133. It's so fast, wow :wow: . Anywho, the biggest wall I've hit so far is Microsoft Works wont re-install cause Dell never gave me the Certificate of Authenticity for it, and I don't have the CD Key. *sigh* I've had quite the convo with Dell about it, and they gave a "generic" key to get it going. I'll try to install it tomorrow. Anyways, everything is running pretty damn good, considering what could have happened. So far, I have XP running and fully updated (although not tweaked yet), My McAfee firewall and virus scan running, my HDD's working perfectly, Video driver's installed, Audio Driver's Installed, some programs. Tomorrow I install Microsoft Works, Organize my Files and delete unnecessary copies of files, and then there will be a whole lot of tweaking :D . Anyways, I just thought I'd post and let everyone know, sry for the length, but, as you can see, alot happened. : peace2: Mista K6

EDIT: Also, all the old Documents and Settings Files I copied over from the other HDD arent deleting once I pull the files that I want out of them. I actually have to delete each file individually, and at that each file takes way too long to delete. What's going on here and how do I fix it?

Comment

Working...
                      X