Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking CPU to Memory FSB?

Hi all.

Iv just got a Asus A7N8X motherboard and a XP2800 also got Crucial 2700. As my CPU is a barton and is clocked lower I wish to overclock it a bit, problem is that my CPU FSB jumps from 166 to 200 cant sellect anythink in between, also if i set it to 200 the my memory is automaticly sets to that as well but my memory is only 333. Can I run the CPU at 200 and my memory at 166 or does it have to be matching to work ok? Not sure that my memory will like being run at 200? I know that I can put the CPU FSB to 200 and take the multiplyer down.

Has anyone got this setup if so what clock speed have you atained?

Thanks

there is a setting in the bios that you need to change to get the full range of the FSB, although I can't remember what it is atm. To get the best performance you should run your fsb and memory at 1:1; meaning they both run at the same speed. It would have been better if you got PC3200, but if you're lucky your PC2700 may run at 200 mhz anyway. You can run your cpu at 200 mhz and your memory at 166, but that pretty much defeats the purpose.

:cheers:

Comment

If I just try to put the multiplier up it shows as a 986mhz cpu even if its only from 12.5 to 13.0

Comment

Dont change the multiplier. Until my new ram gets in I am in the same boat as you. Change your cpu fsb to 200. For memory set it to auto. It will run at the detected speed of your ram. That should take care of the overclock for you though your mileage may vary.

Leave the multiplier alone. I am running the deluxe model of your board and a barton 2500+ also. Got it from newegg both items refurbished for $140 and I am running default multiplier of 11 and fsb of 200 at stock voltage with an old alpha heatsink.

Comment

Iv got my new memory PC-3200 iv put my multiplier to 11.5 and FSB to 200 so im getting 2300mhz.

Iv checked in sisoftsandra 2004 for the memory band width and shows 3024 and float buffers 2773. I was quite happy with this as the reference ram is shows in dule mode using 2x 256 ram CL-2.5. my ram is Crucial 512 cl-3.

But a few hours later its now giving me 2902 and 2654 and still is? Anyways! can anyone recomend a realy good cooling HSF thats about 22db to 40db?:cheers:

Comment

I have the 2500+ with same mutiplyer and fsb. I had to bump
            the vcore to 1.75 to achieve 2306MHz. Have used Performance
            Test,Sandra '04, 3Dmark2001se, PCmark'02,and Folding, one right
            after the other with good results.
            The pc2700 seems to be holding me back.

: peace:

Comment

folks i am running a7n8x deluxe board and flashed the bios yesterday from stock rev: 1003 to latest 1007. i am running 2100+ athlon xp cpu. and also yesterday and today i was running my infineon 2700 333 mem. problem is my cpu won't run at 133 even if i change the memory timings to user defined and set it to 133. machine crashes after so long. if i set cpu and mem to auto detect so i can't change anything. my cpu runs at 100, mem doesnt tell me speed. but machine doesn't crash. system is detected as athlon xp 1500+ @ 1.30gig and with nvidia utility 200mhz ddr. i think my problem my be vice versa to you guys. but i ahould even be able to get the mem to run aT 133, AND THE CPU WON'T ENTERTAIN THAT SPEED EITHER. WHATS GOING ON?

Comment

A ThermalTake Silent Boost is a great silent HSF for the Athlon XP line.

Comment

Working...
                X