Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screwed up the boot up of my computer

Hi!

Recently I have been customizing the boot screen and logon screens of my computer by changing the files in the C/windows/system32 folder. Complete instructions for changing boot screen :

1. Backup (copy) the file %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe (most likely C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe - the boot screen)

2. Download the .zip to your computer

3. Extract ntoskrnl.exe to a directory other than %windir%\system32 (most likely C:\windows\system32)

4. Reboot your computer into Safe Mode (hit F8 before the boot screen) or into true DOS (from a boot disk)

5. Overwrite the file %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe (which should have been backed up) with the extracted exe

6. Reboot your computer as you normally would

I have had no problems when changing the logon screen, and until recently, the boot screen. However I just put a new boot screen, and now, every time without fail, my computer flashes a quick blue screen with some writing at the top for half a second (too fast to read), right after the boot process, and then restarts the computer before it fully loads windows. I have tried restarting in safe mode, which skips the boot screen process normally, but this too results in restarting of my computer before it is fully loaded. So basically my computer is caught in an endless loop of restarts, until I manually shut it off. Is there any way to remedy this? Please help me because I know I can reformat, but I would rather not =/

Thanks!

Bokhard

Should have used BootXP instead to make a backup OS line so you can get into Windows.

Can you get into Safe Mode? If not you will have to do a Repair or Reinstall.

Comment

Ive got my windowxp pro cd, and im trying to do a repair, but im getting prompted to put in an administrator password. I don't remember setting this one, and the one that I use to log into my name doesnt work. What should I do?

Comment

I think you're doing the wrong repair. In the windows setup there is an option to repair an existing installation. It will go through the install again and get you back into windows but all your settings and everything will still be there.

However in the place you were at, in DOS, there are some commands you can use to rewrite the boot sector and such.

Comment

the directions you followed are stupid. Whoever wrote them is an idiot.
          NEVER DELETE/Overite that.
          What you should have done is edit the boot.ini to give you a choice to boot from new bootlogo (on their kernel) and second option with the default one.
          all you would have to do is change the name of the new bootlogo from ntoskrnl.exe to something like ntnwkrnl.exe.
          Also ntoskrnl.exe is different for SP1 and non SP1 systems, so it might be crashing cuz you got the wrong one.
          HTH

Comment

Working...
          X