Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise Needed

Hi,

Pull up a chair and read through this tale, it will be a long one.

I've got a problem and need your thoughts.

I know that any XP key change hacks discussions are not allowed here and I agree wholeheartedly...however I find myself in a situation that can't be explained without bringing it up.

I oversee two Non Profit Organization's computers, network and websites. One place is very small and they know nothing about computers at all other than they need them (only one main comp) to do email and a newsletter.

This place is over 100 miles from me and if there is a comp emergency they know it will take some time for me to get to them.

They had a legit Dell computer with Windows Me installed, that had been networked to one other computer by a kid that appeared to know what he was doing. (These folks are trusting and at the mercy of anyone that claims to know computing).

Well... I get a call that when they shut down the main computer the machine asks if they really want to do that....there are other users on the network and would be disconnected if they shut down....hmm.

Feeling that they may have a trojan I have them disconnect their dial up phone line except when they check email and I would be out on the weekend to remove the trojan and check things out.

They are stuck in the middle of nowhere, out in the desert, with a very bad dial up. I started downloading Spybot S&D , Ad Aware etc.... to take with me.

By the time I get out to them someone else had "helped" them out. Reformated the comp and installed XP Pro. Cool! (I thought).

When I asked for the install disk they had no idea what I was talking about....There was none.

Great!! I have to assume this is a pirated version.

Long story short... every attempt to contact the "friend" that installed XP has failed. He has stood me up several times for a meeting.....

There are several organizations that help Non Profits with software purchases and I have bought legit, legal, totally up n up versions of XP Pro, Office XP et all for them( all of which took time). But the question remains.....

Is there any way for me to make the current copy of XP legal without a reformat?

Any disruption in their comp is very distressing to these folks. They managed to get some files restored after the original reformat but it was painful and many files were lost.

Can I fall on my sword at the foot of Microsoft tech support and tell them this story to get a legal key change on the system?

Your thoughts and experiences are most welcome!!

PM me if response to this post is inappropriate.

Thanks!!!

ps: I would also like to make the install secure and limit install permissions to only the admin... and hide that account from general viewing. Any ideas on this are also welcome.

it may be possible to just buy a win xp licence on it's own-that should make the copy legal (not sure about the codes though). As regards to software setting up - I am presuming that you'd just have to set up an account as an administrator and another one for the other users and not give them rights to install.
    Eye See You..........

Comment

Part 1: You all know that we cannot allow this discussion here but since G Smith has been an xcellent help for Windows Forum, I am making a bit of exception. I will let the thread stay but don't respond to Part 1 here rather if you want to help then use PM.

Part 2: Make only one administrator account and make a group that holds all other users. this will allow you to control what rights you want to give that group of users.
      i hope this helps :cheers:
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Thanks Asklepios,

And folks.. I didn't ask the question to start a thread on hacking.....please PM me if you have a LEGAL solution.

If you need to delete or lock this thread feel free... I don't want to cause havoc or chaos.

Comment

Originally posted by G Smith
          If you need to delete or lock this thread feel free... I don't want to cause havoc or chaos.
          lol. nah don't think that as we have enough tools to deal with those havocs :laugh:
          btw check your PM. i hope the thing will help you.
          Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
          Last Updated:
          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
          ======================
          jabber : [email protected]
          =======================
          Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
          yabaa dabaa doo...
          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

If ya obtain a legal copy that is a later version (especially one with SP1 update included) than the one installed (it's most likely the devil's own version) then it will easily overwrite it to make it legit (I wouldn't mind a quarter of the cost of the software myself everytime I've had to legitimise an install of XP but I don't charge that much).

Comment

So Wiggo,

I should attempt to reinstall XP over the old version? Won't that cause a reformat?

I don't think it's the Devils Own copy but I also don't think it's legal and I doubt it has SP1 installed.. I don't remember seeing the sp1 on the general tab in properties.

I have purchased 4 versions of XP Pro corporate with software assurance.

Asklepios... I've bookmarked your suggestion... Thank You!!

For anyone that works for a non profit.. 301(C) (3) there are incredible prices for software through Tech Soup , you will need to register the Non Profit and proove their status...Well worth the effort!!!

Comment

Originally posted by G Smith
                [b]So Wiggo,

I should attempt to reinstall XP over the old version? Won't that cause a reformat?
                No not normally it won't but in a few cases I've had to but that was more likely due to other programs that were installed on those systems at the time which didn't like the legit XP overwritin' the system again.

Comment

Hey Wiggo.....it worked.

The new version updated very smoothly without any problem. They are now legal and have the most up to date version on XP Pro.. :thumb:

Comment

I'm glad that it worked for ya G Smith (it does for me in most cases as I've said though the owners arn't always at the price). :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                    X