New Monitor (LDC,CRT,TV)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Monitor (LDC,CRT,TV)?

Im planning on buying a new monitor. Right now i have a 17inch Samsung Flat Screen CRT. I want to stay in the 17" range, or bigger but i dont want to spend more than $400 bucks. Should i get a LCD flat screen? Or another CRT? Or a tv to double as a monitor? What brands are best?

you're not going to be able to get a quality 17"+ LCD monitor for under $400 so just stick with CRT. You don't want a TV as a monitor since the best resolution you can hope to get it 800X600 and you would need an expensice HDTV for that. There are several quality manufacturers, such as viewsonic, samsung, and others.

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
      you're not going to be able to get a quality 17"+ LCD monitor for under 0 so just stick with CRT. You don't want a TV as a monitor since the best resolution you can hope to get it 800X600 and you would need an expensice HDTV for that. There are several quality manufacturers, such as viewsonic, samsung, and others.
      correct me if i'm wrong, but a 17" LCD is usually rated as a 18" to 19" CRT, hence a 15" LCD would be around a 16" to 17" CRT.

for CRT monitors, they measurements include the big fat plastic border thing around the screen, while in LCDs it is the actual viewing area.

but still i don't think you can get a good 15" LCD for anything below $500.

Comment

Actually most pretty good 17" LCD's are going for $350-$400 US over at newegg.com :cheers:

Comment

Here are two LCDs that are good that are under $400 (One is 15 inches and the other is 17):

BenQ LCDs

Comment

Originally posted by theyneverknew
            Actually most pretty good 17" LCD's are going for 0-0 US over at newegg.com :cheers:
            whoops.... are we talking in $US here?! i was thinking in terms of $AUS, so yea... you would be able to get a pretty goo 17" LCD for $400 US.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny
              whoops.... are we talking in $US here?! i was thinking in terms of $AUS, so yea... you would be able to get a pretty goo 17" LCD for 0 US.
              Ya really should have a look at the person's location 1st and all members really should have at least a country supplied as this would help a lot. Remember that this is an international site.

Comment

So what is a good brand LCD 17" to get for less than $500 US dollars?

Comment

Hercules Prophetview 920 17" LCD Monitor : peace2:
                  Love this monitor.

Comment

Just replaced a 21" crt, while the lcd moniters have come a long way, If you can fit it on the desk, and lift the crt, I can't see why anyone would chose a lcd:

1, LCD's cost at least twice as much for the same size crt, usually three times for a good one,

2, the colors have a strange, unnatural look to them, like each color is a layer, stacked one on top of another, which I supose it is.

3, the pixles are so sharp that any slanted line shows up as a series of jags, I much prefer the softer look of a crt.

4, Off axis viewing, while much better than it was a couple of years ago, is still an issue with lcd. If you ever have some one else looking at the moniter with you, It can be a pain. With crt's it is a non issue

I ended up with a 21" sony for about $450, a visually inferior 20" lcd (about the same real size) would have been around $1500.

Some may prefer a LCD, but I can't understand why

Comment

the lcd my cost more intitally, but it will save you money over time. For anyone that has a crt monitor on more than a few hours a day and then switches to an lcd display will see an imeditate drop on their next electricity bill. That is more than enough reason for me to want a high qualty 19" lcd (about $600 US here). I currently run a 17" crt 8-20 hrs a day (depending which day it is), and it costs me a pretty penny each month. I've used a decent lcd before and the visual quality is good enough for me. but I'm not a multimedia kind of guy, so I'm not that picky.

Comment

lets see... my wife has a 17" mon, the back panel says it takes 1.5A @ 120v, so thats 180 watt's, or 1.8 killowatts for a 10 hr period. When the moniter is in sleep mode, it uses much less. Don't remember what we pay for power, but I think it's around .10 per killowatt hr. certianly less than .20 So at worst, $.36 per day, or about $100 per year, probably more like $75. For most of us, whe CRT is on less than 5 hrs a day, so $35 a year. Her CRT cost $100 a couple of years ago, and the least $$ lcd is about $350 with a drop in performance. So asuming the LCD moniter takes no power to run, and you really use your moniter 20 hrs a day, then you will break even in about 2-4 years. At 5 hrs a day usage, it would take 10 years or more, not counting the cost of money. Remember though, that the power consumed by the moniter shows up as heat, same as if you were running a space heater, this is good in the winter and bad in the summer,

In a office environment, I can see the argument, especially where you pay by the sq foot, lcd means smaller footprint, smaller desk, easier to move, and the AC costs to keep a building cool in the summer can really add up. Also the cost of disposing of old CRT's can be high. I suspect that in another 5 years, the quality may come up, and the price go down, so then it might make sense for most users to switch. Right now, I'll stick with my CRT

Also, some places have very high costs for power so YMMV

Comment

Working...
                        X