Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you USE cable and dsl at the same time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you USE cable and dsl at the same time?

hey,
    my cable internet disconnects all the time, and my isp says its becuz of overuse in my area. so im planning on getting DSL, that got me thinking can i run cable and dsl on the same computer at the same time? And is DSL good for playing games like does it disconnect or is it slow?, DSL is supposed to be good in my area.
    MOTHER BOARD : GIGABYTE K8N-SLI NForce 4
    PROCESSOR: AMD X2 3800+
    GRAPHICS CARD: EVGA 7800GT 256mb
    PSU: Enermax 535W
    MEMORY: Kingston 4x 512 pc3200 = 2GB
    Hard Drive: Seagate 300GB HDD 7,2000 RPM
    MONITOR: 19" Sony
    windows XP: home

Well you'd need two NIC's unless one was a USB, but I think it would be popssible, thought probably not cost-effective.
    DSL is fine, though it is very dependant on your area, and unlike cable, more users don't slow it down.

Comment

[MSB]-TOM, I am assuming that you are referring to ADSL .... and being from Alberta (same as me) then there are pretty good odds that you are looking at Telus as a provider.

I have been very pleased with my connection through them. It sure beats the heck out of my old dialup connection :) . As far as reliability and connection speed I have not had any serious problems. 1203 kbits/sec download and 511 kbits/sec upload was my speed rating last time I checked out my system at PCPitstop.com. There have been a couple of times when the connection was down for an hour or so in the last year but for the most part connection is always there. If you are looking at buying your ADSL modem thru Telus you may get a better deal at Futureshop ... do some price checking.

Telus does have a theoretical limit on monthy allowable downloads but I either have yet to reach that limit or they are not actually keeping track of it. Currently I have two PCs connected to a router and modem combo and both are used an average of 4-6 hours a day for online surfing and gaming.

Unless you are into mission critical situations where loss of connection is life and limb threatening then I fail to see why you would need to have both cable and ADSL connections. (Having said that .... the week you cancel your cable will be when ADSL fails to work for six days in a row). Also keep in mind that I live in a small town and connection speeds/ reliability may vary in cities. Talk to some of the local people and techs in your area to get their opinion.
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

thx,
        and i live in ft. mcmurry and i was on mytelus.com and i was checking to see if i can get ADSL in my house but it say sorry, ur phone line is not technaly good for ADSL. I was like damn but my friend next door to me has ADSL. So could someone from telus come down to my house and get ADSL to work?

And i need a good connection becuz my mom works with this company that needs her to use the internet and when the cable goes down shes forced to goto the internet cafe. BUt i use it for games.

If the internet always worked at my house, there would be sum one on it all the time unless there all sleeping. And i have 3 computer in my house. 1 for gaming, 1 for work, and just 1 in the basment if both the computers are beeing used.

ps. where u from PraireDawg?wat city. And my internet went down 2 times writing this.

Comment

Doesn't your ISP provide a dialup number for use during downtime or from another location? I'm in the states with DSL and I have an 800 number that I can use.

Comment

there used to be company that made nice home/soho based routers with two WAN connections. The company was called Nexland but Symantec bought them and I'll assume their products have gone to sh*t since the acquisition..

Comment

i was reading about amplifyer for cable.. would that help any for my cable keep shutting off. And i can download movies prety fast when my cable is running (i think around 500+kb on a good site)

Comment

Working...
              X