Used winxp tweak guide and now having problems with messenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used winxp tweak guide and now having problems with messenge

hiya, I used the winxp tweak guide and now when I reboot my machine it defaults back to 800x600 desktop res... and also I cannot use msn messenger at all. It says no internet connection. But my browser and games work fine. It seems I changed something in regards to msn messenger and didn't realize it.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling messenger and still no go. I went to the settings and changed back the setting in regards to msn messenger but it's still out.

Anyone? :(

Thanks in advance

System Restore?

Comment

do you have a firewall? if yes then check that you have not accidentally blocked messenger. if you didn't block it then most of the firewalls ask when an application tries to connect to internet. is it asking for messenger? that will clear out whether you have screwed something from your system or not.
      most importantly, MSN servers are currently in a bit of flux so be a patient with them.
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

no firewall... this is definitely something connected with the tweakxp guide. It started right after I rebooted from the changes I made, per the guide. I even tried going to the registry and checking the hkey local machine msn messenger settings but the Messenger folder was GONE completely. :(

I tried reinstalling messenger and still have had no luck. And my desktop keep defaulting back to 800x600 as well :( This really sucks.

Comment

well, what did you change?

Comment

I've gone through the guide and changed back anything that pertains to messenger... still no luck.

Also, the resolution thing has me stumped... it's setting the resolution AND also rearranging my desktop itmes every reboot.

Any clues?

Comment

system restore doesn;t work. I have fixed the messenger problem. But my desktop keeps reverting back to 800x600 every reboot. I've reinstalled video and monitor drivers.

Maybe the person that wrote the tweak has an idea about what got changed???

Comment

I wrote the tweak guide (if you're talking about Reformat to Relax). None of the tweaks should affect resolution whatsoever.

Your messenger problem is likely because you disabled messenger. The guide doesn't tell you you have to disable messenger, it simply shows you how to do that if you want to disable it. If you made the changes in the Registry Editor section of my guide which deletes the messenger entries then yes, messenger will be disabled.

As for the resolution issue, it may be because you've turned off a startup item which changed your resolution. However the way you describe it (resolution change and desktop icons rejumbled) implies that it's reinstalling the driver every time you reboot or somesuch.

Do a clean driver install. If you run the ATI catalysts follow my ATI catalyst guide and don't disable any startup items.
                My Machine

Comment

thanks for the fast response... I'll try that tonight and let ya know..

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                  X