Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

windows install problems - stop errors (merged threads)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows install problems - stop errors (merged threads)

Hi guys, i just got a PC upgrade.

I have:

ALBATRON PM266A PRO mobo
    256 DDR ram
    2.4 GHZ CELERON
    ----------------------
    I put these in from my old computer:
    30 gb MAXTOR HDD
    64mb RADEON
    52X24X52 BURNER

OK well here is the stuff:

- I want to install XP (so i have to install another OS since xp cant install from DOS)

I format c:/ and then i go ahead and install Windows 95. It gives me "WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR" (IOS INITIALIZATION)

OK so... i try to install windows 98.... same problem (except i think different initialization file)

Well, i finally install WINDOWS ME, and yes it works fine (i am runing it now) So i try to install XP and after the restart, it tries to install and gives me this error...

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

* STOP: 0X0000000A (0x8oecdff...

something like that. So im guesing its a hardware problem, and also have no idea if these 2 problems are from the same source...

I have tried: switching RAM slots, Switching harddrives, everything!

PLEASE HELP!

OK:

I ran MEMTEST for a few minutes and it came up with an error:

"Error 1, out of 102 cycles (51% coverage) you have faulty ram and should replace it."

Also my computer froze a few times, its not a windows blue screen or anything its kinda wierd. The system just hangs, and sometimes leaves a bit of graphical artifacts on the screen.

Comment

ALSO:

the CPU is also quite hot...

STARTUP:
      CPU: 46C
      System: 29C

Running:
      CPU: up to 51C

*running the intel heatsink and FAN.

the "system on" LED on te case is lit properly, but the light that indicates harddrive loading doesn't work.

Comment

please read the sticky regarding our forum policy and edit your thread title to something appropriate (yes we do have an EDIT button which you seem to have missed!!!).

memtest86 shows that your RAM is faulty and that is the most probable reason behind failing installations and/or STOP message in XP out here. you should RMA it as it is new and must be having warranty.
        visit http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm to read more about STOP error that you are getting. this link was apparently there in the sticky :rolleyes2
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Sorry :) But what is wrong with my post title?

Comment

this thread title rule that we have is there because if someone else comes in with a similar problem he/she will be able to search the forums better.
            do you think anyone will put "New PC" or may be "OS Poblems" as keywords to search?
            a better title would have been "Windows installation: STOP error cos of faulty RAM".
            what do you say? :)
            Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
            Last Updated:
            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
            ======================
            jabber : [email protected]
            =======================
            Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
            yabaa dabaa doo...
            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Hi, rencently my computer has been freezing on me. I have narrowed it down to 1 of 2 things. Either the ram is bad or the CPU is overheating.

the cpu gets to about 55C at times.
              It is a celeron 2.4 with intel heatsink and fan.

If it matters, i removed this metal sheet from the heatsink and cleaned it and applied the thermal gloop.

But memtest also detected an error on my ram.

Is there a sure way to test?

Why is my CPU overheating, even though im not overclocking?

------
              EDIT: OK... windows bluescreen: restarted, and windows uninstalled all my hardware drivers... :wow: :wow:

Comment

Whats your case temp, and room temps?

Comment

With your system temps shouldn't be the prob but increase the voltage to the memory by 0.1v and see if that stops the errors.

Comment

case temps: 32C at high.

Check my other post for a progress update.

Comment

OK! Good news and some bad news. First off, i got win xp to install, i turned of cacheing L1 L2, etc...

It took a hell of a long time but it is installed. But i fire up XP and it gives me a new message after it is about to load the desktop:

(same blue screen - stop message)

Beginning dump of physical memory.
                      Physical memory dump.

Comment

now that I've edited that thread title we'll get on with it...

ok, you've clearly got RAM problems so turning off L1 and L2 cacheing isn't going to fix your problems. If you have more than one stick of RAM, isolate the bad one and remove it. Otherwise you will need to buy new RAM before you continue. but first do as wiggo suggested and up the RAM voltage.

On a slightly different note, you do not need to install winXP from another OS, even if it is a so-called 'upgrade' edition. Also, if it is installed from a previous OS, it will not upgrade from some pervious version of windows, win95 being one of these.

Comment

Hi, i was looking for it in the bios.. how do i 'up' the ram voltage>?

Comment

i'm not familiar with your mobo, so I can't tell you exactly where do look. Not all mobos have the feature, infact many cheaper mobos usually don't.

Your mobo does have an Award bios, so if it does allow it, it should be under an Advanced section (if it was even made available for it). I can't remember what it is called exactly, so you'll have to look around and use your head.

EDIT: I can't believe i took the time to do this, but I took a look in your manual (something you should have done yourself) to see if you have the settings availabe. First of all, you should take a look in the Advanced page of your BIOS (pg. 24 of your manual), then naviagte down to "Frequency/Voltage Contol". Page 30 of your manual details what is in this section, I suggest you read it. However, according to your manual you do not have the options available to adjust the RAM voltage (but you should look in the bios anyway).

This is the last time I will spoon feed you information. Next time I suggest you use the resources available to you.

Comment

WOHOO!!!

OK guys, i dont know wether to be happy or not.

Good news: Windows XP installed.
                              Bad news: i have no idea what i did :(

Here is basically what i did:

To get XP to install i turned off all cache, pnp and disabled random stuff in BIOS. After like 2 hours, XP installed.

Then i had some problems with the scandisk thing. It promted scan, i let it scan and almost everytime it finds corrupt files to truncate, odd... anyways it didnt work the first few times it always froze wether or not i let it scan.

So then i enter in safe mode, which skipped the ScanDisk. So im happy and yes it worked! So i restart and let it scan, and then it shut down my computer for no reason... so i restart and then IT WORKS!

I have installed XP and most of my fav programs and stuff, seemes to be running smoothly, a few windows bugs, but im guessing they will go away.

Problem is... i shudder when i think about the next time i need to format this thing :tears:

But for now, ill just be happy it works,

and im getting another stick of ram to see if it helps any matters.

Comment

Working...
                              X