No announcement yet.

A64 3200+ vs P4 3.2 Ghz w/HT which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A64 3200+ vs P4 3.2 Ghz w/HT which one?

So I've been posting around various forums getting various opinions on what to get...now just about yesterday I was pretty sure I should get the A64...but now that I think about it I'm not too sure still. So I decided to join other forums and get more opinions to help me form a good choice.

So here's what is going to be happening, for a christmas gift I've decided to build my parents a computer, now basically I have all the components I need cept for a cpu + mobo, so I plan to give them my cpu + mobo, and upgrade to a faster newer cpu/mobo combo, but I'm also on a budget, and set what I think a reasonable limit to spend on a new cpu/mobo combo is. But this also confinds my time period TIL the end of this year.

I currently have 2X512MB sticks of DDR333 ram.

Now I MAY or MAY not get some DDR400 ram, which isn't a problem with the A64 since the performance diffrence with the A64 between the DDR333/DDR400 is slim to none.

BUT with the P4 it COULD be quite the hinderance.

So my choices are between the Athlon 64 3200+ and the P4 3.2 Ghz.

I DO NOT plan to overclock.
    BUT I do plan to build a new box in 1.5 - 2 years, more like aug of 2005 right now...

So basically this will be a battle of Raw FPU power + 64 bit vs Hyperthreading type of deal.

The computer will be mainly used as a A msn/mIRC/BT/IE/Word/Excel/winamp/Virus scan/Divx-xviD watching machine (1)
    A mIRC/msn/IE/winamp/BT/Virus scan/burning machine (2)
    A mIRC/msn/IE/BT/Virus scan/encoding machine (3)
    A mIRC/msn/IE/BT/Virus Scan/Word/Winamp/Game machine (4)

Those are what it'll probally be used for in order of most used to least used, and those are the applications that WILL be running in the background.

First to clarify some things first.
    The encoding programs I use are mostly programs that are made by encoders FOR encoders. I mostly encode anime, which at most times requires ALOT of filters. Now I use alot of lossless codecs, and special programs that ARN'T optimzed for anything, The filters I would use I can find to be optimized for either athlon xp and the p4. I only aim for HIGH quality encodes, trying to even better the source.

Now using the programs I take the P4 is generally slower by 20 min (3-4%) since the AMD has raw FPU power but the P4 has HT which helps alot too. But I mostly encode when I'm asleep so I don't notice it :)

The P4 also costs more than the A64 here (don't ask...) by about now...30 dollars Canadian.

So, for my usage which is better for me? I still haven't decided which one to go for. For the A64/P4 is it NESSCARY to get DDR400 ram? I already know with the A64 the performance hit is negligable at most.

(here's one you'll probally find funny) but since ECS is the ONLY one making a SiS755 chipset mobo for the A64 does anyone know the quality of their boards...the Via SUCKS for IDE drivers, and the Nforce is just horrible at gaming (compared to eachother and to the SiS)

On the P4 side of things: Is hypertheading really good? How is the Abit IC7 mobo? I don't really care if it'll support Prescott or whatnot, since I won't be upgrading again until Aug 2005, which I'll just build a new box by then.

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance :)

PS I'm going all out because I don't like to overclock...so I WON'T be overclocking :)

anyone?

Comment

I'd say go with the amd64. you want something that will get you though the next year or 2 and do lots of encoding, then i'd certainly say amd64. as for the mobo and ram questions, I'm not sure since I havn't done my homework there, but I feel pretty confident in saying that you will want PC3200 (DDR400). The current nforce2 chipset for the 32-bit cpus is great, so I have high expecations for the nforce3 for amd64, but like i said I havn't done my homework on that yet.

Comment

Yea initial reviews of Nforce 3 and K8T800 are nothing but dissapointing.

Nvidia still has poor IDE performance, and suprisingly poor gaming and app performance too...but it's HyperTransport bandwidth is less than the K8T800, which STILL has the worst IDE performance, and it has HALF of the HT bandwith than the SiS755 which has AWSOME AWSOME IDE speeds almost double of that of the Nforce 3 and it's the fastest board out there...

Unfortuantly ECS is the only one making a board using that chipset so far...and their quality has been hit and miss...

Comment

Working...
        X