Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real gun used at CS tournament

Real gun used at CS tournament

Yeah, it gets better and better folks, now you aren't even safe at a gaming tournament. It's pretty sad, here's the press release:

Cyber X Games Inc. December 7, 2003

Community Release: CXG Los Angeles Qualifying Event/Response as written by Joseph F. Hill, President, Cyber X Gaming Inc.

At 4:30am (CST) I was informed by CXG staff and representatives of Gamers X of a disturbance that took place outside of the Gamers X facility. In response to this event I have prepared the following statement, which is based upon police reports, research, and information gathered to date from those involved, I prepared this type of response because I believe it important to the community that these actions be revealed and discussed:

Late last evening following the completion of a match involving two Los Angeles based teams a fight was initiated outside of the Gamers X LAN Center, host of the CXG Los Angeles Qualifier; upon learning of the disturbance Chris Hill of CXG, and my son, was asked to try and resolve the matter and stop the fighting; as he broke up the fight he and others were jumped by people associated with Team BZ. As Chris, and others attempted to calm the situation a member/associate of Team BZ ran to his car opened the trunk of the car grabbed a gun and placed it to the head of Chris Hill while other Team Members and associates encouraged the person with the gun to fire!

This news item is continued here.

NV Max

Oh man what a sad story, I'm amazed how some ppl can behave when things doesn't go their way, wtf it's a bloody computer game!?
    I've only just once had a person threatening me with a real weapon and that idiot went home with a broken wrist.. :thumbs do

Sweden is a very peaceful country though, not like US with all their guns and s**t.

Comment

Eh, America and guns isnt the problem, its psycho Americans and guns that are the problem. In my town theres probably an average of 3 guns per household, and I say we have about 1/2 a shooting a year. That story is digusting however. Obviously the guy who grabbed the gun has some serious issues he needs to see a psych about.

Comment

Heard about this on CS Nation a few days ago, so it's somewhat old to me.

Frankly, anyone who gets so obsessed over a game needs to stop playing and become a mennonite or something. I don't think that gun control laws have anything to do with it. We have far fewer guns in Canada, so I can't speak for the USA, but I will say that if a gun is so readily available to a person, then something needs to be done about it.

Then again, there can only be so much done to stop this kind of stuff...

EDIT: Oh, and Fatguy3, I've updated that post with the benchmarks. ;)

Comment

Yet another reasont I dont play CS.
          But if some1 puts a gun to my head, they better fire, or I will.

Comment

What knd of guns was it????
            MOTHER BOARD : GIGABYTE K8N-SLI NForce 4
            PROCESSOR: AMD X2 3800+
            GRAPHICS CARD: EVGA 7800GT 256mb
            PSU: Enermax 535W
            MEMORY: Kingston 4x 512 pc3200 = 2GB
            Hard Drive: Seagate 300GB HDD 7,2000 RPM
            MONITOR: 19" Sony
            windows XP: home

Comment

I doubt it really matters...

Comment

Originally posted by weta a member/associate of Team BZ ran to his car opened the trunk of the car grabbed a gun and placed it to the head of Chris Hill while other Team Members and associates [b]encouraged the person with the gun to fire!
                That's the disturbing part in bold. OK, there are always going to be people with guns in society, whether you outlaw them or not. However I firmly believe that despite what many gamers say (and is fashionable to say), that violent games and movies do have an impact on kids, and make them both desensitized to the idea of killing, and glorify weapons and combat.

I personally can defend myself in most any situation, but I would never consider it even remotely cool to encourage others to kill or beat each other up.

I've noticed while playing America's Army that there are a lot of deeply disturbed kids who are both trigger-happy and who have not the least bit of discipline. Imagine if they got their hands on a real gun after some emotional problems.
                My Machine

Comment

ya, and i was watching the news last yr and it was talking about this kid that went into his class and shot 5 students and his teacher in the head with perfect aim. And he said he never fired a gun before that, he also said the resone why hes so good at shooting is becuz he spent months playing FPS games. Kind of scary
                  MOTHER BOARD : GIGABYTE K8N-SLI NForce 4
                  PROCESSOR: AMD X2 3800+
                  GRAPHICS CARD: EVGA 7800GT 256mb
                  PSU: Enermax 535W
                  MEMORY: Kingston 4x 512 pc3200 = 2GB
                  Hard Drive: Seagate 300GB HDD 7,2000 RPM
                  MONITOR: 19" Sony
                  windows XP: home

Comment

Originally posted by [MSB
                    -TOM]
                    ya, and i was watching the news last yr and it was talking about this kid that went into his class and shot 5 students and his teacher in the head with perfect aim. And he said he never fired a gun before that, he also said the resone why hes so good at shooting is becuz he spent months playing FPS games. Kind of scary
                    utter bs. anyone that has ever fired a real weapon knows FPS are nothing like the real thing.

Comment

Ironically Minibubba that's the whole point. Anyone who's ever seen, inflicted real violence on someone else (with guns, fists, knives, etc.) would know it's nothing like the movies or a game.

My point is that these games and movies make it all seem so easy, so glamorous, so tempting to use a gun or bat on someone you hate or who makes you angry. Since these kids have no experience of it other than what they see on TV, cinema and in games, they assume it's easy to do, and that it's logical to react with violence in a confrontation.

That's not the only factor of course. Many other psychological issues need to come together for someone to go that far, but I think it is very important to remind kids that violent games do not represent reality - despite some games claiming to be ultra-realistic, and despite movies, music and TV showing it to be a glamorous and cool thing to do.
                      My Machine

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
                        utter bs. anyone that has ever fired a real weapon knows FPS are nothing like the real thing.
                        I agree, I mean sitting and moving a mouse and a picking on a keyboard wtf they have no idea.. :rolleyes2

But it is something wrong with em' kids today and the way they behave with all the disrespect and ****.

Comment

Originally posted by PersianImmortal
                          My point is that these games and movies make it all seem so easy, so glamorous, so tempting to use a gun or bat on someone you hate or who makes you angry. Since these kids have no experience of it other than what they see on TV, cinema and in games, they assume it's easy to do, and that it's logical to react with violence in a confrontation.

That's not the only factor of course. Many other psychological issues need to come together for someone to go that far, but I think it is very important to remind kids that violent games do not represent reality - despite some games claiming to be ultra-realistic, and despite movies, music and TV showing it to be a glamorous and cool thing to do.
                          I couldn't agree more, although I think viloent games, movies, and TV are only a very small piece of the puzzle. It frustrates me to see the media wanting to place the blame for society's problems on certain aspects of the entertainment industry. The real problem is far deeper than that, but I would rather not get into a philosophical debate here.

I've been a huge movie buff and gamer for years and violence is not how I reslove things, neither is it for any other gamers I know. I'd venture say the vast majority of gamers are the same way. The only times I have ever seen it become a problem is when the person already has serious psychological issues and (dare I say it...) bad parenting.

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
                            I couldn't agree more, although I think viloent games, movies, and TV are only a very small piece of the puzzle. It frustrates me to see the media wanting to place the blame for society's problems on certain aspects of the entertainment industry. The real problem is far deeper than that, but I would rather not get into a philosophical debate here.

I've been a huge movie buff and gamer for years and violence is not how I reslove things, neither is it for any other gamers I know. I'd venture say the vast majority of gamers are the same way. The only times I have ever seen it become a problem is when the person already has serious psychological issues [b]and (dare I say it...) bad parenting.
                            In school we just finished up news projects, and my story was over Video Game Violence, and that was one of my main reasons in the issues that make the video games seem so bad, when a tiny fraction of the gamers have had problems, many other issues have been involved. But as the media always does and always will do, they blow things up to be so much bigger than they really are.
                            Personally, I remember this quote, "Life is not a Video Game", and it's true. If someone cannot tell the difference, they need to either get some mental help, or just drop it and quit playing them, and seek another form of entertainment.
                            This incident was just some people getting way too involved in a game, and obviously the person who held the gun has some other serious psychological problems, and shouldn't be playing a game like that, obviously. After all, it's all for the fun of the game and spirit of competition, sure winning is great, it always has been, but winning isn't what matters, all that matters is that you have a good time.

Thats just my view on things, I hope this doesn't happen again, as things could flare up over Video Game Violence pretty nastily.

Comment

All the same things were said about Dungeons and Dragons back when I was in High School....and that game was played on PAPER! I can't say it ever made me want to go on a mad paper-cutting spree...
                              Disturbed individuals are disturbed individuals. They need professional help, not lawyers who in the attempt to get them off from their serious crimes blaming everything and anything on media and entertainment. I also agree that the parents are truly responsible, and should take more responsibility, and a more active part in their children's lives. I am 37 and have a teenage son. I'm involved in organizing LAN gaming with our local teen center, and I see it as a healthy outlet for the aggressive and competitive tendencies we all have as human beings. So far, we have had no "extracurricular" arguments over the games, and if there were, I and the other adults would be there playing
                              an active part in defusing the situation, and if necessary getting help to the troubled teen. Many of the parents stop by and check in on us, always encouraging and helpful, and obviously involved in what their child is exposed to. I highly encourage parents to play WITH their children, rather than use media and entertainment as a babysitter to replace active parenting. : peace2:

Comment

Working...
                              X