Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah it's old but new too me

hello,
    I recently left a "secure housing facility" and let's say got alittle behind the times due too that commitment;however, I pulled the old emachines out of the closet, cleaned it out, cut out case pieces in the way of the new 400w atx supply, put in a k6 2+ 550, 256 ram, 20.4 caviar and new fans all around. I clocked it too 601.36 and the hundreths point fluctuates between .35 and .36. Is that a bad thing? Yeah, it's old but it's new to me and all I've got until the cognac comes in the mail with another old yet new via 1gig. I don't play games. I do make cd-r catalogs though and "moving" picture catalogs. Thanks and nice to meet ya.

Update:with a benchmarking tool, this .35, .36 fluctuation seems to cause the cpu preformance to also fluctuate between 50%-100% usage with it. No dreaded blue screens or crashes though. Is that bad?

I've a few K6-2/3/+'s here but to get stable overclocks requires a reasonable socket A HSF (retail Athlon HSF's with better fans and some moddin' work well but SS7 HSF's just won't cut it) and some good case airflow as they run very hot at stock speeds but gettin' more than 560MHz stablely is very uncommon and the K6-2 550 didn't stay on the market for long due to stability probs.

Comment

Hello,
      This is the k6 2+ last model made. 18 micron. It does have a heat, voltage sensor and was of course made for lap tops. With my benchmarking tool, it has never gone over 32c and is rated at up to 80c. This is with an oversized aluminum heatsink, USA made grease and a generic fan. I know it's ancient history with the new hardware out there;however, this is all poor wcdeuv has too work with. There has always been a floating point issue with all k6 models. Perhaps that 's what I'm experiencing? It is stable under 100% stress. No blue screens. One final thing, the new 400atx made in the P.R.C. power supply came with the fans installed backward, it was drawing air in and thus crashing. it's been fine since flipping them around. 600mhz for some reason seems to be at least 50% better than 550mhz in terms of downloading speed and applications running 50% faster and smoother. I do not know why. Thanks for your time.

Comment

That PSU followed Intel's original spec's for ATX PSU's but thankfully most manufacturers realised the probs with tryin' to get cool air to run downwards but even my K6-3+ (450 @561, will do 608MHz but not stable enough for me) will lockup once it hits 54C (as will all the others that I have) so don't expect it to run any hotter than that though a 50% performance is a bit far fetched (floatin' point? they have none).

Comment

hey, here's the k6 floating point: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall.../k62vsk63.html

thanks.

Comment

Sorry but that link ain't a good indication of FP performance as even a PII has 3 to 4 times better FP performance which is why I class the K6 line as havin' no FP (facts are facts and I cut my teeth with them but sadly any one of my PII350's will kill it. My K6-3+ 450 @560 av's 18hrs to crunch a SETI w/u but my PII350 at stock speed av's 14hrs. SETI@home is very FP dependant.). :shrug:

Comment

Yes, I believe it. The II+ III+ is real weak on the floating point. Price wise though, the K6 series was worth the handicap comparatively overall. It's mute now, being such old tech. I'm going too stay with amd, though. Just like them.

Comment

Yeah the k6 2+ is old;however that's all I've got right now. Powertweak enables the built in functions on the chip and sandra benchmaking now has mine running better than comparable chips. Seems too be a 20-30% inprovement from before. Very usefull tool for any k6 + users out there.

Comment

Working...
                X