ATi Overdrive Feature for 9800xt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATi Overdrive Feature for 9800xt

I've had a 9800xt for about 2 weeks now, and while I'm very happy with the card, especially in light of the much-improved 3.9 Cats, I've been hesitant to activate the Overdrive feature because I haven't heard much one way or the other about its effects on performance and stability.

Does anyone out there use it and, if so, can you attest to its performance boost and/or effects on system stability?

Thanks and happy holidays to all.

It shouldnt hurt anything, and if it causes artifacts, just disable it

Comment

It automatically overclock the card when it is needed, If the card is to hot, it underclocks it. It shouldn't be to bad.
      CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
      Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
      RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
      GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
      PSU: Thermaltake 500w
      SC: Audigy 2 zs
      LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
      Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
      Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Use it. There have been no reports of any problems at all, and like the others said, if you see problems, turn it off. It's not a huge boost, anyway, only around 30 MHz, but a boost nonetheless. If you're going to overclock the card manually, be sure to get rid of Overdrive, as it'll cause your card to heat up faster than...well, it'll heat up fast.

Comment

I know what it does on paper - I was just wondering if there is anyone out there with a 9800xt who can attest to the level of performance increase vs. heat increase, etc.

Personally, I've always shied away from overclocking - after nearly frying my first Voodoo 1 card back in 1997 I've decided to take a slight framerate hit and play it safe. Now that this new feature is supposed to remove any possibility of damaging the card, I was just looking for some real-world testamonials on how it holds up.

Comment

If this ATi feature kills ya card then ya can hit ATi for a new one as it's still their product.

Comment

I have a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT, and I know i'm supposed to see an option for overdrive, but I don't. I don't see it anywhere. Can someone please tell me where it is in the settings menu, and/or post a picture?

Oh and if my card is overclocked to the max, I should probably leave this off, right?:rolleyes2

Comment

Overdrive isnt enabled for 9600xt's yet in the Cats, might be in 1.10 though, dont know. But its useless if your manually overclocking, so dont worry bout it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatguy3
                  Overdrive isnt enabled for 9600xt's yet in the Cats, might be in 1.10 though, dont know. But its useless if your manually overclocking, so dont worry bout it.
                  I believe that ya mean the 3.10 Cats which I believe is true but I've not tried them with mine as 3.08 has not given me any probs so far and Sapphire's Redline program takes care of the overclockin'.

Comment

Oh and if my card is overclocked to the max, I should probably leave this off, right?
                    LOL!!!!! i would assume so!! might get bad results if you do.:grr: :grr: :steam:

Comment

i bought my sapphire 9600xt OEM, so where can i dl redline? i searched on google and only came up with the patch:shoot3:

Comment

nvm i found it:cheers:

Comment

Working...
                        X