Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does 98 ever shutdown correctly?

Hello,
    I put a fresh new copy of 98 on a new hard drive and it shutdown correctly before loading up wcupid, powertweak, norton anti-v 2004, adware and internet cleanup. This is nothing new. Last time I had too trace this NCR monitor back to ben-q and obtain the correct driver before any normal restarts or shutdowns. This means restarting in safe mode and going into device manager and deleteing all the drivers it erroneously loads. It had 7 monitor drivers, 5 mouse drivers and 5 floppy drivers all un-needed from a fresh install. It still hangs though. Goes into the black screen and stops. No blue screens, it just hangs there until I hit atl-ctrl-del and it restarts. There is a rundll32 program in the running apps screen at this time which doesn't show while in windows. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks.

try diableing fast shutdown. Its been a while since I had win 98 but I had the same type of problem and that worked 4 me. If I remember correctally run msconfig and there is a check mark to do it.

Comment

There is also a shut down patch on the windows update page but while I'm here did ya load the missin' .vxd files? :?:

Comment

Yes, those vxd files were missing. I installed them all in system. Seems too have helped. The fast shutdown helps sometimes and sometimes not. Thanks alot. Appreciate it.

Comment

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d...17/Default.asp is also a good one to use on some systems
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate it. It runs far smoother with those missing driver files installed. Norton always gives me shutdown problems. Disableing fast shutdown and scanning the floppy at shutdown at least get it too restart with atl-ctrl-del without any blue screens. I can just feel how much smoother it is with those vxd files installed. amazing. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X