Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start up and Shut Down problems caused bu NIC card

I got a problem guys,

I built my brother a new machine with some parts from my old computer. Everything went fine up until I installed the NIC card. For some reason after the card was installed the computer would take approx. 2.5 min to boot up and would stall at shut down. In some cases the it would even go to safe mode. I tried switching PCI slot with no success. Here is a list of the hardware:

Mobo - Abit KR7A Raid
    CPU - AMD T-bird 1.33
    NIC - Netgear 10/100
    OS - Win 98

Just out of curiosity... is the NIC card hooked up to a network, cable modem, DSL modem?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

No, I can't even get the thing going because of the startup issues

Comment

One of the reasons that it is taking so long to boot up is because Win98 looks for the network if a NIC is found during startup. Even if there is no network installed to the system, Win98 just keeps looking for it. This OS was notorious for doing this. When I went to cable, my bootup times nearly tripled!

Go ahead and boot up, set up the NIC with the latest drivers from the Netgear site, and then try hooking it to a network or a cable/DSL modem. Then try booting up again and see if it acts correctly.

Oh... and if it is just installed so that it's ready for the occassional LAN, then either remove it during normal use or get used to long bootups.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Thanks for your help, I really thought it was something I did. I guess I will try to get use to it.

PK Ripper - "Musketeer Fan"

Comment

Working...
          X