Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Atlon 64!!

Hey guys,

I am on the searching for a new motherboard. I would lik to use it with Athlon XP processor. But I woul sometimw down the line like to upgrade to the AMD Athlon 64 bit processor. I was wondering if you guys knew of a mobo that can use the current XP Processor then easily be upgraded to the 64 bit one. If you know of one please tell me which on that it is.:afro:

Sorry to break it to you, but no such thing exists, or probaly ever will.
    This is because Athlon XP's are 32 bit processors, while Athlon 64's are, obviously, 64 bit processors. This means that each CPU has a different interface to each other and making a chipset to handle both just wouldn't be worth the time and effort for the chipset manufacturers.
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Ok well Thanks for posting a reply.

Comment

It would be nice to have one mobo to do both but the reality is that both use entirely different architectures which makes a "one mobo suits both" entirely out of the question.

Comment

Yea it would be extremly NICE. But anyway. I just got a computer case for Christmas (MERRY CHRISTMAS!!). And this will be me first custome pc. I am only 15. Do you have a mobo reccommended for me. I would like to have the option to overclock and for extreme gaming (not that extreme though). And the price has to be around $100.

Thanks in Advance. :afro:

Oh yea only for AMD processors;) . The XP version.

Comment

I asked which motherboard I should get to suits about the same specs as you and it's the Asus K8V Deluxe. It costs about 200 canadien $, so it would cost about 160 in the US I think (with taxes). I didn't find any other motherboard then this one, so maybe that's the only choice you've got for now. I think that you should spend the extra money as the mobo is the most important (to my opinion) part of the computer.

Comment

Yea.. I guess your right:(

I'm thinkg of just saving for a the Athlon 64 bit processor. Might take me a while though. I have seen motherboard bundles with the A64 processor. Im not sure if I should do this though. Was only around 300 for the processor and motherboard.

If any one has a reply to this PLEASE post it. Everything is helpful to me. This is my first custome pc. :afro: :thumb:

Comment

n0z4rides321 : What are your current system specs ?
                Also, what are you thinking of getting ?
                If you are planning a large scale upgrade, don't forget that the BTX format should be out next summer which will change things...
                BTX Info
                SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Err....

My current system specs is a Xoxide casing and the 3 fans that came with it. And that is pretty much it. And from the looks of the article I can't using this casing with the BTX mobos:snip: .

Comment

if yur looking for sumthin fast and cheap u cant go wrong with an epox 8rda+ but there are much better boards out now. but this one overclocks like a champ. read some reviews and see what u like the sounds of. heres a link for the 8rda+. u should be able to pick one up for about $80CAD or less.

:cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by swinger
                      if yur looking for sumthin fast and cheap u cant go wrong with an epox 8rda+ but there are much better boards out now.
                      Yeah the 8RDA3+ but my 2 8RDA+'s overclock very well thank you.

Comment

But i decided to save up for the Athlon64 with a mobo combo. I was just wondering what people had thought of this idea.

Comment

that is a pretty wise choice because it is more "future proof". it will be more useful down the road

Comment

Yea

Other than the whole $300 proce tag :laugh:

Comment

yes but by the time u save up the cash it will either be cheaper, or there will be sumthin better u can get 4 the price.

Comment

Working...
                              X