Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has this guy gone completely mad?

Sat Jan 3 2004

BRISBANE, Australia -- Crocodile hunter Steve Irwin's honeymoon with the Australian public could well be over.
    The television star and likely candidate for Australian of the Year honours was being compared to disgraced pop star Michael Jackson after he took his month-old son to his first crocodile feeding, a moment that was captured by television cameras and later broadcast.

Before a crowd of onlookers yesterday, Irwin held his son Robert under one arm and dangled a piece of meat from the other in front of a four-metre crocodile which quickly snapped up the offering.

"Good boy Bob," Irwin said once the crocodile's jaws snapped shut, the tabloid Herald Sun reported.

Since his television show, The Crocodile Hunter, was first filmed in 1992, it has taken North America and the world by storm. And his fame also hit the big screen with the film The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course.

Viewers jammed phone lines at Channel 7 and Channel 10, the two networks that broadcast the footage, expressing their outrage at Irwin's actions, news reports said. The stunt drew comparisons with Michael Jackson dangling his baby son over a hotel balcony in Berlin in November 2002.

But Irwin defended his actions, saying his child was never in danger.

"I was in complete control of the crocodile. Robert was tucked right in my arm," said Irwin, the Herald Sun reported.

His American wife, Terri, who handed the baby over to Irwin in the enclosure and giggled at the spectacle, agreed.

"It was a wonderful sensory experience for him (the baby). He dug it," she said.

Child support and family groups said Irwin's behaviour was almost like child abuse and he should never have exposed his son to such peril. "Most parents would cringe at the sight of such things," said Bill Muehlenberg from the Australian Family Association, quoted in the Herald Sun.

"One slip, one fall and he is the crocodile's lunch."

It was a major stumble in the so-far unstoppable career of the gregarious Irwin, who was among the few to score an invite to Prime Minister John Howard's barbecue for visiting U.S. President George W. Bush in October.

His Australia Zoo reptile park in northern Australia is popular with tourists, with different state governments at one point getting into a bidding war to woo Irwin for his potential tourist dollar.

-- Associated Press
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

IMO the press have blown it out of proportion.
    They are comparing it to the Michael Jackson incident with the baby over the balcony. I have to point out a few things right there:
    1. SI works with his crocs almost everyday, he knows their nature.
    MJ doesn't work with balconies almost everyday and he doesn't know their nature.
    2. SI was holding the baby as far away from the danger (the croc) as he could while holding him. MJ was holding the baby over the balcony, probably 2 or 3 stories up. If MJ had dropped the baby, it would be dead. IF SI dropped the baby, it would have been injured, but not dead.

With that said, it stupid of him to take his baby into the croc pen with him
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

You know news reporters, always wanting a story, and when they do get it they blow it way out of proportion.
      But it was stupid of him to take his child in there with him.

Comment

If you actually see the footage, it's pretty funny. :)

Comment

I wonder if that kid will grow to be as crazy as his father?

I use to watch that fellow on discovery and hes just crazy with them animals! :eek:

Then again he is an aussie.. :)

Comment

the kids gotta learn how to handle crocs one day why not start early:confused:

Comment

I've always thought the guy was nuts.
              This has done nothing to change my opinion in any way.

can't this dude get a real job?
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                I've always thought the guy was nuts.
                This has done nothing to change my opinion in any way.

can't this dude get a real job?

Getting tossed of a unbroke horse and then getting back on REPEATEDLY is nuts. Done that many times as a kid.:laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by maximus7001
                  Sat Jan 3 2004

has this guy gone completely mad?
                  Nope he already was:devil:
                  http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

I watched this guy in action years ago, even before he was famous, nothings changed. This is what he does in his daily life.
                    I know the kids a bit young to be shown the art of croc taming, but if your growing up around these reptiles then you've gotta learn sometime (maybe in a few years).

As per usual the media did blow it way out of proportion.
                    I watched A Current Affair tonight which interviewed the audience that was there from start to finish. Most said that they didn't think the baby was in any danger at the time, as there were many spotters there telling/watching Irwin while the whole episode was actually happening.

A few humourous pics about the whole senario freakingnews

Comment

I couldn't help myself - here are some shots which have been hitting the inbox!
                      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                      Managing Director
                      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

:laugh:
                        Managing Director
                        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

:laugh: :laugh:
                          Managing Director