WINDOWS vs LINUX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINDOWS vs LINUX

Which do u all think is more stable overall?

Windows or Linux?

Overall, Windows, and it will probably remain that way. Simply because Windows is so much more noob friendly, and it requires next to no searching to find what your looking for. Linux requires some knowledge and a bit of experience, and know-how.

Comment

On the other side, I've never seen or been able to crash Linux... :)

Asking what is the most stable is kind of a hard question to answer, as it all depends on what you are going to be doing to the OS after you install it. Most OSes are stable from a fresh install, but once you start doing other things, then it's at the mercy of what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
        On the other side, I've never seen or been able to crash Linux... :)

Asking what is the most stable is kind of a hard question to answer, as it all depends on what you are going to be doing to the OS after you install it. Most OSes are stable from a fresh install, but once you start doing other things, then it's at the mercy of what you do.
        You've got years of experience though. Honestly, XP Pro is hard to crash unless your trying to.

Comment

pretty much depends on what you are going to do with it. As far as servers go, I'd say Linux is king. Linux has a serious hold in the server marketplace. There are lots of reasons for that, stablility being one of them.

But if your goal is a stable desktop OS, then winXP pro would probably be a better choice as much as I hate to admit it.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
            You've got years of experience though. Honestly, XP Pro is hard to crash unless your trying to.
            I only touched Linux for the first time last year... Did a lot of mucking around with it, didn't crash anything. :)

Comment

How stable is windows?

After my 2 week holidays, I went back to school to find my computer in one of my classes literally self-distructed. Wouldnt even boot into server 2003, and XP Pro was just recovered.

Seems Server 2003 is completely currupted, as even logging into the recovery console wouldnt work.

I really think theres something else behiind it, but untill I find out, I think Ill buy myself a G5.....

Wait, that requires money:2cents: :

Comment

I crashed KDE and GNome many many times Seti client crashes as well.
                Not so in windows.
                BUT
                When i crashed all the above, all i needed was to run them again. Not so in Windows. It dont take much to make a win machine reboot. Any crash can do that. But with linux it will just crash the app. :D

As far as ease of use, they are both easy.
                But most people dont know computers, they know how computers look through Windows, so they try to convert their windows minds into Linux minds which can be a pain.

Comment

Heh, I'm kind of interested in learning about linux, is there any good tutorials or guides online that give a nice run through of operation and features? Thanks, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

It's pretty hard to crash Linux. If a program crashes, it's probably the program's fault. Linux has always been pretty stable, whereas all older versions of Windows aren't. Linux seems like it has better performance (as in it uses less than Windows) but I could be totally wrong about that. But the important thing is, Linux is free. Well, you need blank CDs and you have to download it, but that cost doesn't amount to much (even dial-upers can download a 700 MB ISO, just takes a while). Or you could buy it for $30 (U.S.) or less at a store. Windows tends to sell for over $100 retail, even if your buying an older version. Full XP Pro is like $300. Buying online for less tends to get you either an older version like 98 (which still sells for over 50 if you can find it), an upgrade disk requiring an older version, or a pirated version. Linux really isn't as hard to use as you would think. You just have to learn stuff. I started out with 95 when I was like 7 and I had a lot more trouble then than I do now with Linux, although I was pretty young. Windows is also pretty insecure; they release security patches constantly, but any half-assed cracker could sit down at a computer with DOS or any UNIX-base OS (such as Linux) and break into XP and start screwing with stuff on an XP machine over LAN or the internet. Linux isn't invulnerable, but it's a lot harder to screw with Linux, and some crackers will respect people just for using Linux (and therefor not try anything). That is one of the main reasons for Linux still being used for like 90% of web servers. The one thing Windows has that Linux doesn't is tons of software. Sure you can download more Linux freeware than you can shake a stick at, but you can't plop in your Warcraft III CD and start playing (WINE is still buggy and can be a ***** to set up anyway). But if you're not into gaming, then I just can't see using any OS over Linux for any reason other than ease-of-use. But, if ease of use is extremely important (and it is for most people, sadly) then you probably have to buy your computer from a company rather than building and setting up yourself. If you have money for that and are buying a computer that will be fast an last a while, (I can't believe what I'm about to say), you might as well use Macintosh. I personally hate it in almost every way, but it's easier (although more controlling) than Windows and Linux for people who just don't get computers. To summarize, Linux is more stable and more secure than Windows, but Windows will work with (arguably) better software (including most new games) and is easier to use.

Comment

I was quite happy to sit back and read that post, until you started pickin on Macs... then I realised you were just as biased as the rest of us. :)

Comment

A google search revealed:

This is a forum for discussiing all matters related to the Linux operating systems, all distrobutions and versions

You can always look for more on your own, but Linux really isn't that hard to use. What I found when I started using Linux and reading these types of guides is that they tend to teach you more about how computers and programs work than they teach you about using Linux. Most distros use shells pretty similar to Explorer in interface, so learning to use Linux isn't hard. But if you know Windows very well (meaning any short of editing the registry without help is pretty easy), it can be a difficult transition. It is a lot different in the stuff you mess around with (there's no Windows control panel, obviously). The file system is organized differently (basically, your user folder is considered the "Program Files" and "My Documents" of Linux). Setting up Linux shouldn't be that hard. Even dual-booting with Windows is pretty easy. I can't really elaborate much more; I'm still relatively new to Linux.

Comment

Just be happy that no one started a Windows vs. Macintosh thread, that would probably turn into a flame war. I don't have any major issue with Macs, I just can't see using them over Linux if you know what your doing. And that single-clicking crap really gets to me.:p

Comment

Originally posted by Mista K6
                            Heh, I'm kind of interested in learning about linux, is there any good tutorials or guides online that give a nice run through of operation and features? Thanks, : peace2: Mista K6
                            Useful links thread in the Linux forum, http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...&threadid=8680

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                              Just be happy that no one started a Windows vs. Macintosh thread, that would probably turn into a flame war. I don't have any major issue with Macs, I just can't see using them over Linux if you know what your doing. And that single-clicking crap really gets to me.:p
                              There's the key phrase - 'If you know what you're doing'. 'If you know what you're doing', then XP is perfect... :rolleyes2

Comment

Working...
                              X