AMD 2700 OCing Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 2700 OCing Concerns

I have been able to OC my 2700 to 2.3Ghz (166x14). However sometimes when I boot up my computer I get a beep......beep....then numerous beeps and the computer turns off. Mind you that the above settings is the highest I can go before I have to clear my CMOS and start over. I am running a SOYO KT400 Dragon Black Ultra. My system has all the latest drivers, etc. My power supply is a 400 watt. I doubt its a power issue, because it isnt consistant. Also I have a deep freeze cooling fan on the CPU and it sits at 95 degress (F) at this OC level thusfar.

Here are my questions: Has anyone else experienced these beeps?

What can I do to OC it higher?

I am thinking of upgrading to a better board but I want a MB that I can OC in the bios and not have to touch my chip, what would be a tried and test MB that others have had luck on.

Thanks!

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)
    System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
    System Model: KT400-8235
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 1536MB RAM
    Page File: 206MB used, 3228MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0902 32bit Unicode

Get yourself an nForce2 chipset mainboard and feel the power..

I run my cpu at 11.5x200 - 2300Mhz, would get it higher with better memory.

Have a look at the Epox 8rda3 mainboard, it's great for overclocking. :)

Comment

As The__tweaker said, an nForce2 based mobo would help ya a lot better than ya current one but in ya spec's ya neglected to state the ratin' of ya memory and what timings ya runnin' plus what voltage settin's ya usin' for the CPU and memory (stock or non-stock). Also have ya got the AGP/PCI buses set close to spec (66/33)?

Comment

Those sound like the kind of errors that make my memory freak out...

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
          As The__tweaker said, an nForce2 based mobo would help ya a lot better than ya current one but in ya spec's ya neglected to state the ratin' of ya memory and what timings ya runnin' plus what voltage settin's ya usin' for the CPU and memory (stock or non-stock). Also have ya got the AGP/PCI buses set close to spec (66/33)?

My memory is DDR2700, it is set at SPD, the bio output says 166Mhz DDR333.

My voltage is set at default for my CPU & memory. My AGP/PCI is set at 66/33.

So what tweaks do I need to do to make this ba boy scream without blowing up?

Comment

Raise the CPU voltage by 0.1v and if ya plan on raisin' the FSB a bit then do the same for the memory.

Comment

Raise the CPU voltage by 0.1v and if ya plan on raisin' the FSB a bit then do the same for the memory.
              Why only 0.1v up?

Comment

Because as ya apply more voltage ya also create more heat but that 0.1v will take ya from a stock core voltage of 1.65v to 1.75v though up to 1.85v is fine for most air cooled setups. I run my XP2600+ on 1.75v at a speed of 2.3GHz. If ya still have probs then go up a biy more but in smaller jumps.

Comment

Because as ya apply more voltage ya also create more heat but that 0.1v will take ya from a stock core voltage of 1.65v to 1.75v though up to 1.85v is fine for most air cooled setups. I run my XP2600+ on 1.75v at a speed of 2.3GHz. If ya still have probs then go up a biy more but in smaller jumps.
                  Ok I've up'd my voltage. Should I see an improvment in stability? Also how do I tweaked my memory?

Thanks by the way!

Comment

Yep the extra voltage should stabilize the system by stoppin' errors occurrin'. For the memory if the system now proves stable (test stability by runnin' Prime95) ya can start raisin' the FSB a little bit at a time but ya should be able to get it and the memory to around 175MHz though do keep an eye on ya AGP/PCI speeds.

Comment

Working...
                    X