inititiation problem in XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inititiation problem in XP

hello guys just wondring if you can help me with my problem.. WinXP just takes ages to loads and gives me an error on NAVPA32.exe this error results my "Start" button not functioning.

Additional question; Can you perform Scandisk on XP on the DOS Mode same as the Win Me?? If so.. how do i do it? i was lookin for it ages ago but didn't have any luck.

Thanks in Advance guys!

That's a symantec product giving you problems..

The Backdoor.Sparta.C is a trojan which tryes to delete files that belongs to several firewall/virus protection programs. Check that you have the latest definitions installed and then try and scan your whole system. :2cents:

Comment

Windows XP does not have scandisk rather it comes with chkdsk.
      open a command prompt window and type [code:1:0c037dc434]help chkdsk[/code:1:0c037dc434]
      this will tell you all the switches required to pass for the proper functioning of chkdsk.
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker
        That's a symantec product giving you problems..

The Backdoor.Sparta.C is a trojan which tryes to delete files that belongs to several firewall/virus protection programs. Check that you have the latest definitions installed and then try and scan your whole system. :2cents:
        I deleted the symantec folder on the registry.. so its not gonna work at all now. And also... I can't access the control panel because the "Start" button is not functioning., Is there another way to fixed the problem?

Oh the symantec is still there appearing on the Add/Remove Program. How can i completely delete this symantec products? I really hate it now! its causing me trouble.

Many thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
          Windows XP does not have scandisk rather it comes with chkdsk.
          open a command prompt window and type [code:1:cedad51c20]help chkdsk[/code:1:cedad51c20]
          this will tell you all the switches required to pass for the proper functioning of chkdsk.
          Oh i see.. but CHKDSK is on windows, will be able to fixed something?

Thanks man!

Comment

Originally posted by crazysniper22
            Oh i see.. but CHKDSK is on windows, will be able to fixed something?
            i don't understand as to what you want to do :confused:
            Last Updated:
            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
            ======================
            =======================
            yabaa dabaa doo...
            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Originally posted by crazysniper22
              I deleted the symantec folder on the registry.. so its not gonna work at all now. And also... I can't access the control panel because the "Start" button is not functioning., Is there another way to fixed the problem?
              Have ya considered bootin' with the XP CD goin' to the Repair console and selectin' "Repair Installation"? :?:

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
                i don't understand as to what you want to do :confused:
                what i mean is, CHKDSK is not really fixing anything, does it? What i want now is to restore the Windows without deleting those files in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                  Have ya considered bootin' with the XP CD goin' to the Repair console and selectin' "Repair Installation"? :?:
                  Im sorry Wiggo i forgot to mention it, this system is prebuilt by Fujitsu Computers. The PC is not mine, its my Dads one. It only has restoration CD and I dont wanna do it, co'z it will delete all the files that currently on the system..

Comment

well can you post the exact error?
                    most of the restoration disks that come with PC's just restore the OS and will not delete the other data that you need.
                    also you can take the HD out and put it in another PC, copy the required data and do the restoration. btw that PC is infected by a trojan so do take care as to what you are doing.
                    did you make any restoration floppies with the help of your anti-virus as those can come handy at this time. you can scan the PC with them and delete the trojan.
                    Last Updated:
                    10th MARCH

======================
                    =======================
                    yabaa dabaa doo...
                    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Chkdsk won't scan for viruses or anything, it scans for errors on the drive. It probably won't help you. What I would would do is open up taskman (press ctrl + alt + delete) and find any offending processes. That might be a little to hard in this case so you can just end explorer.exe and click file, new task, and type in explorer.exe. I am not really familiar with this particular virus (no viruses I couldn't deal with here in years:)) so that might not help at all. Knowing that error message would be helpful. End that process too when you start up if it's causing problems. You should also try disabling startup processes through msconfig (taskman, file, new task, msconfig). Again, I'm not familiar with this particular virus, but unless it infects a very important system file (like Explorer), it can be stopped without the use of the recovery installation. But if this seems to hard use that. It won't delete your files. You might have to reinstall a bunch of programs, but it won't delete files for the most part. And by the way, deleting the Symantec folder in the registry probably wasn't enough. Symantec programs through a bunch of different values in the registry. Just use my msconfig method to disabe whatever program it is you use from starting when you get into Windows. And again, please give more information on the error message.

Comment

thanks guys for all your effort. but its ok now.. what i did is, i plug inn a second HDD and copy all the files i wanted (actually almost all of them) then run the recovery CD. hehehe!

once again... thanks guys for your effort.

Comment

Working...
                        X